President’s Climate Commitment Advisory Committee
The Advisory Committee is an ad hoc committee appointed each year by President Roush to advance the College’s pursuit of climate neutrality, coordinate Centre’s participation in the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) and advise the President on matters relating to sustainability and environmental concerns. All meetings are always open to visitors. The committee is appointed annually.
Centre College Climate Action Plan
In early 2007, Centre President John A. Roush became a charter signatory of the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC). By making this public commitment, Centre has agreed to:
• Complete a greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions inventory.
• Set a target date and interim milestones for becoming climate neutral.
• Take immediate steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
• Integrate sustainability into the curriculum and educational experience.
• Make the action plan, inventory and progress reports publicly available.
1. Emphasize the need for energy conservation in all new construction: All new buildings and major renovations will be designed and built using LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) silver standards or equivalent. Certification through the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) will be pursued as appropriate.
2. Adopt an E.P.A. Energy Star© purchasing policy: Energy consumption and life cycle costs will be considered in purchases of all equipment and appliances. The intention will be to purchase E.P.A. Energy Star© products in all areas for which such ratings exist.
3. Promote waste minimization throughout campus: Support activities such as a vigorous recycling collection program in all major buildings; the College’s participation in the RecycleMania competition; encourage the use of re-useable drink containers.
4. Pursue sustainable energy sources: Continue the search for and support of purchasing electricity from sustainable sources, including the Mother Ann Lee Hydroelectric Station on the Kentucky River.
Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Inventories
This inventory, as required by the ACUPCC, is publicly available online here.
The GHG inventory from 2007-08 is the data foundation upon which Centre has created its ACUPCC action plan goals.
Ultimate goal: Climate neutrality by 2040
2020: Reduction of GHG emissions by 25% from 2007-08 levels
2030: Reduction of GHG emissions by 50% from 2007-08 levels
2040: Climate neutrality
Committee Members for 2012-2013
Preston Miles, Professor of Chemistry, chairperson
Mark deAraujo, Associate Professor of Dramatic Arts
Terry Crowley, community member
Lucas Do, student member, C.E.A
Elizabeth Graves, Director Corporate and Foundation Relations, Development Office
Cole Henson, alumna member
Patrick Kagan-Moore, Professor of Dramatic Arts
Dan Kirchner, Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Patrick Lowe, Academic Systems Coordinator
Scott Messer, Assistant Director of Building Trades, Facilities Mgmt.
Greg Nicaise, student member
Patrick Noltemeyer, Special Assistant to the President
Marie Nydam, Assistant Professor of Biology
Endre Nyerges, Professor of Anthropology
Mariel Smith, Communications Fellow, Communications Office
Judy Stanley, alumna member
Gray Whitsett, student member from SGA
Bryan Wright, student member, C.E.A
Meeting Notes and Reports