President’s Climate Commitment Advisory Committee
The Advisory Committee is an ad hoc committee appointed each year by President Roush to advance the College’s pursuit of climate neutrality, coordinate Centre’s participation in the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) and advise the President on matters relating to sustainability and environmental concerns. All meetings are always open to visitors. The committee is appointed annually.
Centre College Climate Action Plan
In early 2007, Centre President John A. Roush became a charter signatory of the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC). By making this public commitment, Centre has agreed to:
• Complete a greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions inventory.
• Set a target date and interim milestones for becoming climate neutral.
• Take immediate steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
• Integrate sustainability into the curriculum and educational experience.
• Make the action plan, inventory and progress reports publicly available.
1. Emphasize the need for energy conservation in all new construction: All new buildings and major renovations will be designed and built using LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) silver standards or equivalent. Certification through the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) will be pursued as appropriate.
2. Adopt an E.P.A. Energy Star© purchasing policy: Energy consumption and life cycle costs will be considered in purchases of all equipment and appliances. The intention will be to purchase E.P.A. Energy Star© products in all areas for which such ratings exist.
3. Promote waste minimization throughout campus: Support activities such as a vigorous recycling collection program in all major buildings; the College’s participation in the RecycleMania competition; encourage the use of re-useable drink containers.
4. Pursue sustainable energy sources: Continue the search for and support of purchasing electricity from sustainable sources, including the Mother Ann Lee Hydroelectric Station on the Kentucky River.
Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Inventories
This inventory, in the format required by the ACUPCC, is publicly available online here.
Each year we update and add current year data. The full cumulative report is available here. GHG Emissions Report 2008 to 2015
Ultimate goal: Climate neutrality by 2040
2020: Reduction of GHG emissions by 25% from 2007-08 levels
2030: Reduction of GHG emissions by 50% from 2007-08 levels
2040: Climate neutrality
Committee Members for 2015-2016
Preston Miles (chair), Mark deAraujo, Aaron Godlaski, Elizabeth Graves, C. Henson (alumna), Patrick Kagan-Moore, Daniel Kirchner (spring), Scott Messer, Elise Murrell, Patrick Noltemeyer, Marie-Veronique Poirier, Rose Marie Roessler, Spencer Ruggles, Russ Strunk, Brett Werner
Annual Reports of Advisory Committee