For the first time in 2018, the RICE (Research, Internships, and Creative Endeavors) Symposium will be part of a week-long celebration of research that features a different event each day.
RICE Symposium Overview
Students in all disciplines and in all class years are invited to present their recent research, internships, or creative endeavors in the form of a 15-minute presentation, poster, gallery display, or performance. The scholarship presented should be high-quality and should represent a significant effort by the student, typically outside of a classroom setting. Scholarship related to class activities is acceptable if it is part of a class with a significant research/scholarship component. Scholarship conducted during an internship is acceptable, but should be presented as an oral presentation if it was previously presented as a poster at an internship showcase. Regardless of where and how it was developed, the presented scholarship should represent a developed and sustained project.
The annual Centre RICE Symposium is sponsored by the Dean, Associate Dean, and a grant from Dr. John Barton.
RICE Symposium Goals
1. Provide an opportunity for students to present their rigorous, sustained, mentored scholarship in a professional manner to the wider campus community.
2. Celebrate the high-quality, mentored scholarship completed by Centre students.
3. Improve the oral communication skills of student presenters through feedback from mentors and audience members.
4. Model appropriate behavior at academic conferences for both presenters and non-presenters.
5. Inspire non-presenting students to seek opportunities to participate in mentored scholarship.
RICE Symposium Schedule
The full research week schedule is as follows:
Monday — April 9, 2018
12 p.m. – 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. • Research exploration drop-in hours at the Grace Doherty Library
Tuesday — April 10, 2018
Common Hour • Celebration lunch for faculty mentors and their students presenting at RICE
Wednesday — April 11, 2018
1st Annual James W. Barton RICE Symposium Lecture (held in Vahlkamp Theatre)
7 p.m. • Convocation — “Bringing Back the Forest: University Research, Outreach, Community Engagement, and Partnerships for the Reforestation of Coal Mines in Appalachia” featuring Dr. Christopher Barton ’89, Director of the University of Kentucky Appalachian Center and Professor of Forest Hydrology & Watershed Management
Thursday — April 12, 2018
11th Annual RICE Symposium
2:00 p.m. – 3:20 p.m. • Oral Presentations, Session I (Young Hall)
3:45 p.m. – 5:05 p.m. • Oral Presentations, Session II (Young Hall & Grant Hall)
5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. • Poster Presentations (Norton Center lobby)
Friday — April 13, 2018
3:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. • Art Exhibit (AEGON Gallery inside the Jones Visual Arts Center)
There will be a truncated class schedule on Thursday — April 13, 2018.
See below for details.
Truncated Class Schedule
There will be a truncated class schedule on Thursday — April 12, 2018.
All students are encouraged to attend panel sessions, poster sessions, and creative works displays as soon as their classes end that day. Students, faculty, staff, community members, and prospective students are invited to attend the Centre RICE symposium.
Truncated Class Schedule — Thursday, April 12
• 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. • (classes will meet from 8:00 a.m. – 9:10 a.m.)
• 9:40 a.m. – 11:10 a.m. • (classes will meet from 9:20 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.)
• 12:40 p.m. – 2:10 p.m. • (classes will meet from 10:40 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.)
• 2:20 p.m. – 3:50 p.m. • (classes will meet from 12 p.m. – 1:10 p.m.)
Truncated Lab Schedule — Thursday, April 12
• 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. • (labs will run from 8:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.)
• 12:40 p.m. – 3:40 p.m. • (labs will run from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.)