International Student Services

Social Media



Stephen Swan

International Student Advisor



Estudiantes y familias hispanohablantes contacten a Kendra Montejos Edwards


International Student Services

At Centre, our commitment is to enrich all of our students with worldwide opportunities, such as our study abroad or exchange programs. Centre actively seeks to provide opportunities for students from other countries to come to our college and welcome them into our college community.

Centre has had students from the following countries: Bangladesh, Bosnia, China, India, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Pakistan, Republic of Korea, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Tanzania, Turkey, Vietnam, and the United Kingdom.

Centre’s international students are supported in part by an international student advisor, who provides information and assistance to students in dealing with federal and state regulations (e.g., immigration, visa, tax) and supports students academically, culturally, and personally.

Follow us on Facebook:

Prospective students from outside the U.S. should click here to learn about applying to Centre.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Danville like?

Danville is a charming and vibrant town that offers the best of both city and small town life. Danville is unusual in that it offers much of what you’d expect to find in a big city: Fortune 500 companies; a major medical complex; a variety of dining options from fast food to bistros to full service restaurants with bars. And with Centre’s Norton Center for the Arts, Danville presents world-class entertainment.
In addition to all that Danville has to offer, Centre is less than an hour away from Lexington, the second-largest city in Kentucky and the “Horse Capital of the World”. This metropolitan city adds endless options for students whenever they want to venture out from the campus and Danville. Kentucky, in general, offers natural beauty that can be enjoyed throughout the four seasons, world-famous horse racing events, the world’s longest known cave system inside Mammoth Cave National Park, and a rich history of unique culture and music.
Am I allowed to work while attending Centre?

International students are eligible to work on-campus for up to twenty hours per week while school is in session and forty hours per week during holidays without special approval and without applying for OPT (Optional Practical Training). Jobs on campus are sometimes difficult to find, however, and no student should assume they will be able to work on campus. No international student may accept an internship or job off-campus without applying for OPT (job) or CPT (internship). For more information about OPT, click here. For more on CPT and internships, click here.
Students who work WILL need to apply for a social security number. This can be done at the local Social Security Office; trips to this office will be provided for international students during the first few weeks of the fall term.
What is the Host Family Program?

This program is designed to introduce international students to American family life. Although Centre students won’t live with their host families, they will have the opportunity to spend time with them, whether it is during meals, local outings, or other activities.
What is the Student Mentor Program?

This program was created to help integrate international students into all aspects of Centre life, including classroom learning, extracurricular activities, campus organizations, and more; to create an atmosphere of support—academically, culturally, and personally—for new international students; and to provide new international students with a fellow student’s perspective on both academic and personal life at Centre.
During the first semester on campus, each international student will meet with their student mentor at least once a week whether it is for a meal, a convo, a local outing, or another activity. After Christmas, students will most likely meet with their mentors less often, although all are welcome and encouraged to spend as much time with their mentors as they would like. The student mentors are fellow students who truly want to get to know Centre’s international students and help them in any way possible.

New International Student Orientation

Each August, Centre welcomes new international students to campus several days before regular incoming first-year students arrive. This gives international students time to adjust to Kentucky time and to familiarize themselves with campus before beginning regular new student orientation.
International students will be assigned two orientation assistants in the summer before their first year at Centre. The International Student Orientation Assistant will be in touch with the new international student throughout the summer and will help them grow comfortable with Danville and American life during their first days at Centre.
During orientation, students will have the opportunity to open bank accounts, purchase cell phones, and more. They will also hear from several Centre faculty and staff members about classes, convocations, student health issues, clubs and organizations, OPT, CPT, and more.
Orientation will include activities such as academic advising, book discussions, library tours, city and campus tours, shopping trips, receptions, financial aid information, information on extracurricular activities, and social events.

Arrival and Transportation Information

When arriving on campus for the first time:
Centre sends orientation assistants to the airport to bring first-year international students to campus. Students must submit their arrival information on time and arrive on the designated arrival date. More information and arrival forms will be sent to new international students during the summer.

Once on campus:
No car? No problem.
Not all students have cars, and we’re doing our best to make sure that doesn’t stop them from having the transportation they need. Below are a handful of options:

DanTran (community bus service)
This service is perfect for trips to local shopping and grocery centers such as Walmart or Kroger.
• Website:

• Telephone: 859.238.2260

• Bus stop locations: Outside the Campus Center at the intersection of West Walnut and College Streets.

• Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
This service is offered to the city of Danville on a Deviated Fixed Route that will deviate for the general public with and without disabilities. Actual times may vary according to traffic conditions, weather conditions, coordination, availability, and demand. Deviation requests remain available with a 24-hour notice. Deviation requests off the normal route are limited to one-half (1/2) on one mile.

• Price: Effective 7/1/2014, the fare is $2.00 per person per trip, or $1.00 per person per trip for Veterans with a photo ID. Exact change only, as the driver does not carry cash.

•What’s allowed on the bus: Driver does not handle rider packages parcels, or personal items. Groceries are allowed for a limited amount of parcels. Children under the age of 13 will require an adult to accompany them.

DanTran Schedule of Times & Routes (PDF)

Blue Grass Community Action (bus service between Danville and Lexington)

• Website:

• Telephone: 1.800.456.6588

• Bus stop locations: From the Danville parking garage, the bus takes riders to three stops in Lexington: Greyhound bus terminal on New Circle Road, LexTran Transit Center, and Blue Grass Airport. Once in Lexington, riders who want to travel around the city have the option of boarding the LexTran lines at the transit center or continuing on the bus for a fare of $1 per person, per mile, with a 3-mile minimum.

• Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Buses leave the Danville parking garage at 8 a.m., 10 p.m., 1 p.m., and 3 p.m. to take riders to the above-mentioned stops in Lexington. NOTE: This service is not offered on holidays.

• Price: $5.00 per person one way or $10.00 per person round trip.

Enterprise CarShare Program

Allows you to rent a car for quick trips in town or to nearby areas.

Centre College Shuttle Service

Arranges for transportation to Louisville and/or Lexington.

Getting a Driver’s License

If you are getting a driver’s license for the first time:
1. Obtain letter of student standing from Stephen Swan or the registrar’s office.

2. If you have Social Security card, skip #3.

3. If you do not have a Social Security card, go to the Social Security office (103 Belinda Blvd. Danville, KY 40422) with passport, latest I-20, and latest I-94 print out. You will receive a ‘denial letter’ stating you do not require a social security card.

4. Go to the DMV (162 E. Main St. Lexington, KY 40507) with the following documents:
• Official proof of address (utility, phone, or school bill that shows your school address)
• The letter you received from Stephen Swan AND the Social Security denial letter
• Latest I-20
• Passport with Visa
• Latest I-94 print out

5. You will be scheduled to complete a written test. After passing the written test, you will be able to schedule a driving test 30 days after holding a learner’s permit and without any incidents (date to take driving test determined by availability).

Important Travel Documents

There are several important documents you must bring with you when you enter the United States; please carefully read information on your passport, I-20 and I-94 forms at the link below. If you have any questions about this information, contact International Student Advisor Stephen Swan.

Click here for information about Passports, Visa, I-20 and I-94 Forms

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary training authorization for work directly related to your field of study. CPT is authorized by your DSO in accordance with the F-1 regulations. You can apply for CPT during the regular academic year (you must remain registered full-time) and during the summer (as long as you register and pay for a one-course credit).
Click here for information.


International students are able to complete internships while at Centre, but there are specific rules and eligibility depending on whether the internship is on-campus or off-campus and paid or unpaid. Please carefully read this information and contact International Student Advisor Stephen Swanif you have any questions.

Click here for information.

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is off-campus work authorization for international students with F-1 visas. International students with F-1 visas are allowed to work with certain restrictions. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services regulates the various types of employment permission.

Click here for information.