Grissom Scholars Program
Recognizing Character, Achievement, and Leadership Potential
600 West Walnut Street
Danville, KY 40422
Sarah Scott Hall
Grissom Scholars Contact
Centre is pleased to offer this scholarship as part of its ongoing mission to transform the lives of young people.
The Scholarship and Enrichment Program
Grissom Scholars receive full tuition scholarships, renewable for four years. (For 2016-2017, tuition amounts to $39,300 of Centre’s comprehensive fee.) If needed, additional aid will cover the cost of room and board, books, and transportation.
In the summer before their first year at Centre, Grissom Scholars participate in a unique orientation focused on personal growth and team-building. Each Grissom Scholar receives personal guidance from the program director to develop a four-year plan for college. $5,000 in enrichment funds enable each Grissom Scholar to pursue special opportunities such as study abroad, independent research, and academic internships.
The scholarship and enrichment program includes:
• Four-year, full-tuition scholarship, plus additional aid to cover any remaining financial need
• $5,000 in educational enrichment funds after the successful completion of the first year
• On-campus programming
• Individual mentoring
Who should apply?
Competitive applicants should demonstrate:
• Strong personal character with a positive outlook, respect for diversity, and a mature nature; highly regarded among peers and staff
• Proven dedication to academic achievement, GPA that reflects intellectual ability and a strong work ethic
• High leadership potential as demonstrated through extracurricular involvement in community service, school activities, artistic endeavors, and paid or unpaid work
The program is reserved for first-generation college students. A student qualifies as a first-generation college student if his or her custodial parent(s)/guardian(s) have not completed a four-year college degree. Strong preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate substantial financial need and who reside in the United States.
How to Apply
1) Apply for admission to Centre College by January 15.
2) Apply for financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Centre Aid Form. The priority financial aid deadline is the deadline date of your chosen application plan (Early Decision: November 15, Early Action: December 1, Regular Decision: January 15); the regular financial aid application deadline is January 31.
3) Request a nomination from a school counselor, core course teacher, community-based organization liaison, employer, or independent college counselor who can attest to your qualifications using our Scholarship Nomination Form (preferred deadline for nominations is January 1, nominations accepted through January 15).
4) Complete the separate Grissom Scholars application form (due February 6).
The committee will select approximately thirty finalists who will be invited to attend a special scholarship selection weekend in late March, with ten scholars announced in April. Finalists and one parent/guardian per finalist will be be brought to campus at the College’s expense for the selection weekend.
Students who wish to be considered should request a nomination from a school counselor, core course teacher, community-based organization liaison , employer, or independent college counselor who can attest to the student’s qualifications using our Scholarship Nomination Form (preferred deadline for nominations is January 1, nominations accepted through January 15).