We are here to help you apply for internships, jobs and graduate school, as well as explore your career options and interests. We want to help you succeed in whatever endeavors you choose to pursue!
What Is An Internship?
An internship is a form of experiential learning that empowers students to integrate knowledge and theory learned throughout the curriculum with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Thus, a meaningful internship is a partnership between Centre College and a host employer, collaboratively defined and guided by the student, a faculty internship mentor (if the student is receiving credit), and an on-site supervisor from the host employer. To ensure that an experience is educational and thus eligible to be considered a legitimate internship, all the following criteria must be met:
• The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained through the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the host employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
• The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
• The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
• There are clearly developed learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
• There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
• There is routine feedback by the experienced on-site supervisor.
• There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
If these criteria are followed, it is the opinion of NACE that the experience can be considered a legitimate internship. (National Association of Colleges and Employers, December 19, 2011)
Common Sponsors of Internships for Centre Students
|Alltech Biotechnology, Inc.||American History Museum|
|Berkshire Theatre Festival||Center for Disease Control|
|Central Baptist Hospital||Cincinnati Zoo|
|Harlem Children’s Zone||Amnesty International|
|Danville Advocate-Messenger||Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center|
|Farmers National Bank||Denver Art Museum|
|Heartland Veterinary Hospital||Hilliard Lyons|
|Ferm Solutions||Johns Hopkins University|
|Kentucky Educational Television (KET)||Kentucky Refugee Ministries|
|Kentucky Trust Company||Kentucky World Trade Center|
|Lexington Herald-Leader||LFUCG Police Department Center|
|Louisville Zoo||St. Louis Federal Reserve|
|Senator Mitch McConnell’s Office||State Farm Insurance|
|The Carter Center||The Idea Farm|
|Toyota||UK Department of Plant Pathology|
|U.S. Department of State|