Campus campaign for United Way wraps up another successful year
A dedicated group of Centre College faculty, staff and students spend weeks every year rallying campus support and donations for the the many programs supported by the Heart of Kentucky United Way (HKUW). As the 2015 campaign comes to a close, the committee reports that more than $38,000 was raised through the generous spirit of the campus community.
HKUW partners with local nonprofits, businesses, government and social service agencies to address the most pressing needs in Boyle County in addition to the surrounding counties of Garrard, Lincoln and Mercer. They fund approximately 24 agencies and 40 community programs conducted by those agencies. Their mission is “uniting caring people to build pathways out of poverty, thereby improving individuals and the community.”
Throughout the campaign, the College community is encouraged to contribute in one of two ways: through payroll deduction or a one-time gift option.
The much-anticipated Centre Favors Auction, sponsored by the Iota Chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon (DKE) fraternity, provides yet another way to give by competing for sought-after prizes. Some of the most popular items up for bid this year included dinner at the home of President John Roush and his wife, Susie; dinner at the home of Professor of Chemistry Joe Workman; designated parking spots for faculty, staff and students; and a glass bowl created by Stephen Rolfe Powell, H.W. Stodghill, Jr. and Adele H. Stodghill Professor of Art. Altogether, DKE contributed $13,500 toward the College’s goal.
Centre and HKUW thank the following members of the campus United Way committee and encourages others to become involved:
• Sallie Bright, performing arts coordinator
• Kay Drake, director of human resources and administrative services
• Jessica Durham, engagement coordinator
• Bill Garriott, John Marshall Harlan Professor Emeritus of Government
• Mary Beth Garriott, reference librarian (retired)
• Elizabeth Graves, director for corporate and foundation relations
• Tanner Lyons ’16, DKE
• Ben Nelson, human resources generalist and training coordinator
• Ann Smith, assistant to the vice president for finance and treasurer
• Daniel Sweat ’18, DKE
• John Wilson, H.W. Stodghill, Jr. and Adele H. Stodghill Professor of Mathematics
• Mona Wyatt, associate director of development for donor relations and parent programs
• Ann Young, director of student life and housing
by Cindy Long
December 11, 2015