Become a Bonner
Prospective students are invited to apply for admission to the Bonner Program as part of the regular admission process to the College.
What is a Bonner Scholar?
Bonner Scholar positions are offered to select students who are committed to community service and demonstrate high financial need.
Bonner Scholars Expectations
• Bonner Scholars commit to complete an average of 10 hours of service a week (140 hours per semester) during the academic year. These hours are made up mainly of direct service at a community organization.
• Bonner Scholars commit to training sessions, enrichment workshops, retreats, and weekly seminars that address social issues and teach tangible skills.
• First year Bonner Scholars participate in a New Bonner orientation prior to the Centre College new student orientation.
• Participation in the Bonner Scholars Program is much more than simply completing the required service hours. Bonner Scholars are part of a community that strives to cultivate and maintain a service-minded culture both on campus and in Danville.
Bonner Scholars Benefits
• Bonner Scholars will receive a $25,000 annual scholarship contingent upon successful completion of school-year academic service requirements.
• Bonner Scholars are required to participate in two summer internships at nonprofit organizations of their choice anywhere in the U.S. or abroad. During each summer, Scholars receive up to $1,000 for summer living expenses and an earnings stipend of $1500 upon completion of 280 hours of summer service.
• Upon four years of successful completion of the Bonner Program, the Bonner Foundation awards $2,000 toward student loan reduction.
What is a Bonner Leader?
Bonner Leader positions are offered to select students who are interested in making service a priority during their Centre Experience.
Bonner Leader Expectations
• First Year Bonner Leaders arrive to Centre for the New Bonner Orientation the week before Centre College’s First Year Orientation. Following the New Bonner Orientation, Bonner Leaders attend the Bonner Program’s Fall Overnight Retreat with all returning Bonners. First Year Bonner Leaders and First Year Bonner Scholars enter Centre as a cohort.
• Bonner Leaders commit to complete an average of 10 hours of service a week (140 hours per semester) during the academic year. These hours are made up mainly of direct service at a community organization.
• Bonner Leaders commit to training sessions, enrichment workshops, retreats, and weekly seminars that address social issues and teach tangible skills.
Bonner Leader Benefits
• During the academic year, Bonner Leaders are compensated through Federal Work-Study for 8-10 hours of service per week.
• Bonner Leaders are able to participate in summer internships at nonprofit organizations of their choice in anywhere in the US or abroad. (limited funding available)
The Bonner Scholars Program and varsity athletic sports at the College are both examples of student involvement that enrich the educational experience. In recognition of the significant expectations and demands placed on a student by each of these commitments, students are encouraged to consider carefully their decision to participate in both a varsity athletic sport and the Bonner Scholars Program.
You are invited to apply for admission into the Bonner Program and should carefully consider the commitments and benefits that accompany acceptance into the program. Upon completion of your Bonner application, based on your demonstrated financial need determined by the FAFSA and Centre Aid Form, you will be considered for either a Bonner Scholar position or a Bonner Leader position. Bonner applications are due by February 1st, 2018. Upon review, finalists will be invited for an on-campus or skype interview with the Bonner Program Leadership Team. Scholars and Leaders will be notified by Mid-March. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Director of the Bonner Program, Gregory Chery at 859-238-8752 or at email@example.com.
*Applicants are highly encouraged to attend the Diversity, Leadership, and Service Weekend on February 16th-18th, 2018.Bonner Program Application