Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,
As hot weather sets in, outstanding progress is being made on campus construction projects. Read on for Pearl Hall specifics, as well as information regarding the Science and Math Center, the Campus Center, the College’s Norton Center
for the Arts, and Chowan.
To see a selection of Pearl Hall construction photos, click the following link:
http://www.centre.edu/pearlhall/photos/construction/construction.html. To see photos of the Campus Center and Chowan, click the following link: http://www.centre.edu/CampusCenter/.
If you have difficulty viewing this e-mail or its images, please briefly describe
the problem in an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pearl Fact: work is progressing well and we are optimistic that the facility will be completed in August as planned.
The following items were completed or
in progress at the end of May:
• A lot of work is getting completed daily. On the interior, the installation of ceiling tiles, light fixtures, electrical outlets, etc., has continued.
• The ground floor is substantially complete except for carpeting. As you progress upward in the building, the percentage of completion changes, but the tasks underway remain the same.
• The first floor is about 75 percent complete, and the second floor is about 60 percent complete. The HVAC system is being purged and tested for leaks and should soon be on-line
• The majority of the work on the entry tower is complete. The windows need to be installed and the finish work of sealing the block, adding the light fixtures and painting will all begin soon.
• The majority of the fire sprinkler work is complete, and most of it has been tested. It's estimated that most of this detail work will be completed in the next two weeks.
• The elevator has been delivered and is about 50 percent installed.
• On the exterior, most of the roofing is complete with some minor detail work on the dormers inside the courtyard remaining; downspouts from the rain gutters are being connected to the storm water drainage system.
• Sidewalks and parking lot curbs and gutters are mostly complete in the courtyard and along the west end of the project. Parking lot lights have been installed and asphalt work is scheduled to start in a week to 10 days. Sidewalk lights are currently being installed.
• In the front of the building, the storm sewer system is being installed, electrical feeders for the sidewalk and parking lot lights are being installed, the footer for the bench at the entrance has been poured and the windows for the tower are being installed. Sidewalk work should be starting within the next week 10 days.
• Construction remains on schedule and, barring any major setback, the project should be completed on schedule.
Pearl Hall Information:
• Cowan is now out of service. The construction fencing will go up following the Brass Band Festival. Demolition is scheduled to take place toward the end of June.
• Work is still being done to bring the entire construction project into the correct budget.
• Meetings took place June 5 between the College and Hastings & Chivetta architects regarding floor coverings and interior design efforts.
(temporary dining facility)
• Construction is still under way. If Chowan is not ready to be used as the campus temporary dining facility by the time Governor's Scholars arrived on campus June 22, contingency plans for a dining area have been made.
Campus Center and Chowan information: http://www.centre.edu/CampusCenter/.
Science and Math
• The New Science and Math Center Committee met with Dennis Lammert, architect for Hastings & Chivetta, and Rick Heinz, lab designer from RFD, on June 3 and 5.
• In a series of meetings with members of the biology, chemistry, biochemistry and molecular biology, psychology, and psychobiology programs, final details on lab design were resolved.
• Faculty members have now settled upon cabinetry and utilities in all teaching and research labs. The architects and lab designer will now complete the design for the new addition and renovation, and the project will move into the next phase.
for the Arts
• All HVAC systems have been completed.
• Window changes, restrooms, front offices, elevator, seating changes, etc. are being planned.
• Most of the construction will be planned for the summer of 2009. Work will likely begin after the last scheduled Norton Center event (around the end of May) and be completed before the first regularly scheduled Norton Center event in October.