Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,
The parties and dinners have been attended, the presents unwrapped, and the holiday decorations taken down and put away. Time, as it always does, marches on, as does progress on campus construction projects. Read on for more details.
To go to the Campus Construction page, click the following link: http://www.centre.edu/campusconstruction/index.html
If you have difficulty viewing this e-mail or its images, please briefly describe the problem in an e-mail to email@example.com.
• Despite poor weather, construction crews have continued work on the Campus Center
• More than half of the shingles are up
• Framing of the exterior walls continues
• Furniture selection continues following the December showcase
Campus Center information: http://www.centre.edu/CampusCenter/
• Hastings and Chivetta have completed the design plans for the new science building, and the plans will go out for bid by subcontractors this week.
• An emergency exit will be constructed on the south side of Young Hall in January.
• Construction on the addition to Young Hall will begin in mid-to-late March 2009. The committee hopes to have a final timeline in the next few weeks.
for the Arts
During a very productive day of meetings in December with two Norton Center architects and three others, the campus group agreed to sequence the project as follows:
• Newlin Hall will be shut down on the Monday after Commencement 2009 and open sometime before Homecoming in late October 2009.
• The Newlin Hall Grand Foyer, however, will be closed beginning April 28 so that the major construction projects there (doubling the size of the women’s restroom, installing a handicapped elevator, constructing a two-story suite of offices where the soft sculpture current is) can begin four weeks before Commencement. (For Commencement, the Honors convocation, the Press lecture, and other events after April 28, the audience will access Newlin Hall through the side doors at either end of the foyer.)
• Weisiger Theatre will shut down on May 4 and be reopened in time for the Governor’s Scholars Program on June 28.
• The four Newlin Hall staff members currently in Grant will move their offices to the newly constructed offices in the Newlin foyer sometime in October. At that point the Space Committee will make a decision about the future use of the vacated Grant Hall spaces.