• Construction is progressing at a great pace, and the hope is that the weather will continue to cooperate throughout the summer months.
• Most of the exterior brick is complete, and the windows are almost completely installed.
• The drywall is about 85 percent complete, and painting has begun throughout the building.
• Throughout the month, food service equipment installation and tiling in the dining hall and serving area will continue.
• The expected completion date is October 2009.
Campus Center information:
• The construction and renovation project in Young Hall is in full operation, and the fenced-in areas to the north, west, and south of the building remain restricted areas.
• Earthwork for the building pad is approximately 50 percent complete, and drilling for caissons (sealed underwater structures used for geothermal energy) should be completed by the beginning of July.
• Phase I (the current phase) of the demolition and renovation for the existing building is on schedule.
• Weisiger Theatre is essentially finished. The few minor details that remain will probably be completed early this month.
• The theatre has a much grander and more spacious look because of the new individual seats with arms (as opposed to the bench seating), the richer and more formal color scheme of maroon seats and grey carpeting and walls, and the removal of the metal soffit along the edge of the lighting grid.
• In the Newlin Foyer, the dry-walling of the new suite of offices has now been completed.
• The reconfigured restrooms, the new storage room, and the elevator have been roughed in. The size of the women’s restroom will be doubled.
• In Newlin Hall, the seats have been removed as well as the concrete to turn the angular configuration into a semi-circle. New space for handicapped seating has been poured.
• Work on replacing all Norton Center windows with thermal glass has also begun.
• At the Farris Stadium football field, the drainage should be complete this week along with the curb that goes around the track. After the curb is installed, the rock for the base of the field will start going in.
Gary Wright Field
• At Gary Wright (baseball) Field, the rough-in irrigation is complete. Work has begun for the finish grade and warning track to be installed.