Re-applying for Financial Aid
Completing the Renewal FAFSA
You must re-apply for need-based aid each year you attend Centre. Financial aid can change from year to year based on fluctuations in income, both positive and negative. Failure to provide the following application materials in a timely manner can result in a loss of financial aid. March 1st is Centre's Deadline to apply for financial aid.
Required Application Materials
• Centre Aid Form: Please fill out the Centre Aid Form completely and return to Centre's Student Financial Planning Office. A copy of the CAF can be downloaded.
• Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): The U.S. Department of Education will provide a Renewal FAFSA on the web site www.fafsa.ed.gov. Please use this form to apply for financial aid. To check on the processing status of your FAFSA, call 800-4FEDAID (800-433-3243).
• Student Aid Report (SAR) Data: About five days after you submit the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA, the federal processor will e-mail a SAR to your e-mail address. If you listed Centre College as one of your college choices on the FAFSA, Centre should receive the SAR data electronically. Your aid award cannot be processed until this data is received.
Additional Application Materials
• Verification Worksheet: The U.S. Department of Education will randomly select a number of Centre's aid applicants for verification. If you are selected for verification, a paragraph on the cover letter of your SAR will indicate this. Centre will mail a verification worksheet to those students who are selected. Students selected for verification must submit the verification worksheet and an IRS Tax Return Transcript OR use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool before their aid application can be processed. A copy of the Verification Worksheet can be downloaded.
• Parent IRS Tax Return Transcript or IRS Data Retrieval: If you are selected for verification, an IRS Tax Return Transcript is required or the IRS Data Retrieval Tool can be used to download the tax information to your FAFSA. Click here for instructions.
• Student IRS Tax Return Transcript or IRS Data Retrieval: If you are selected for verification, an IRS Tax Return Transcript is required or the IRS Data Retrieval Tool can be used to download the tax information to your FAFSA. Click here for instructions.
• Special Condition Form: If you are experiencing unusual financial circumstances that you would like us to consider as we evaluate your aid application, please request a Special Condition Form from our office. We also require an IRS Tax Return Transcript and W-2's for you and your parents with the submission of the Special Condition Form.
Filling out the Renewal FAFSA on the Web
You can file the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA online after January 1st at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Questions with arrows and the phrase “Enter New Data” require new answers. Review all other questions and correct if needed. Be sure to keep a copy for yourself.
Work-study earnings should be included in your adjusted gross income when you file your income tax return. The question “student income earned from work” should also include work-study earnings. Please use Worksheet C as instructed.
We recommend you use data from your completed prior-year income tax return. However, you may use estimated data if you expect a delay in completing your tax returns. Please note that you will need to replace the estimated data with the actual data once your tax returns are complete.
Student and parent signatures are required. A parent may electronically sign using a PIN or print a signature page to mail to the federal processor.
Kentucky Grant Eligibility
The state of Kentucky uses information provided on the FAFSA to determine state grant eligibility for Kentucky residents attending in-state colleges and universities. Legal residents of Kentucky should pay special attention to the following questions:
- Be sure to list Kentucky as your state of legal residence. If you enrolled at Centre as a Kentucky resident and your parents have subsequently moved out of state, you are still considered a Kentucky resident for Kentucky grant purposes as long as enrollment is not interrupted longer than a summer break. In such a case, you should report Kentucky as your state of legal residence.
- Centre College does not offer graduate or professional degrees. Kentucky only awards grant funds to undergraduate students who are state residents.
- Centre's Federal School Code is 001961.
Financial Aid Info
- About the Need-Based Aid
- Cost/Comprehensive Fee
- Federal Plus Loan
- Federal Stafford Loan
- Financial Aid Brochure (PDF)
- Financial Aid Glossary
- Forms for Download
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Helpful Links
- How to Apply for Aid
- Important Dates/Timetable
- Payment Plan and Other Loans
- Understanding Aid Awards
- Why Centre is a Good Value
- Brown Fellows Program
- Centre Fellows Program
- Legacy Award
- Merit Scholarships
- Renewal Requirements
- Reserve Officers Training
- Special Scholarships
- State-based Match Scholarships