Getting to know...Centre legend Bill Breeze
September 23, 2010
Centre’s special assistant to the president for endowment. Over
the years, he has held numerous positions at the College, serving
as a member of the board of trustees, president of the alumni
association and acting president of the College.
If a committee were convened to choose Mr. Centre, Bill Breeze would surely be on the short list. Breeze is a Centre alum, Class of 1945. After a distinguished career at Ohio National Life insurance company, he came to Centre in 1987 as Vice President and General Secretary. He later served as interim president from 1988 to 1989. Recently, the Bill Breeze Society was established in his honor. This gift club recognizes years of consecutive financial support for the College. Breeze has made a gift to Centre for 49 consecutive years. (For more on the club, click here.)
1. Position at Centre?
Assistant to the president for endowment
Brooksville, Ky., population 615, county seat of Bracken County
3. Career highlight?
Many, both at Ohio National Life in Cincinnati for 38 years and at Centre College
4. Favorite part of your job?
Learning from others and helping them achieve
Wife, Professor Barbara Hall; daughter, Nancy Breeze ’76
Work, listening to music, reading
7. Most memorable experience of your youth?
Attending Kentucky State Fair at age 14 as part of a livestock (sheep, cattle, hogs) judging team
8. Prized possession?
Sharp pocket calculator circa 1990
9. Favorite book?
Whatever I’m reading
10. Most memorable trip or vacation?
Annual visits to Maine
11. Favorite movie, play, or tv program?
12. Favorite album or other recorded work?
All Beethoven, Schubert, Brahams, Richard Strauss, Dvorak
13. Favorite artist (of any type)?
Ezio Pinza, Metropolitan Opera Bass, circa 1930s and ’40s
14. Attitude toward technology?
Appreciate it greatly, understand it poorly
15. Person you most admire?
16. Living figure you'd most like to meet?
I value my 69-year friendship with Judge Pierce Lively over any famous new acquaintance.
17. Historical figure you’d most like to meet?
Winston Churchill, Albert Einstein
18. What would you be doing if you weren’t working at Centre?
What could be better?
19. What is the best thing about Centre College?
What it does for its students!
20. Describe yourself in three words:
Friendly, hard-working, funny