Getting to know...Kathy Jones
January 28, 2010
all over the country. Here, she stops to take in the view while
hiking in Berea, Ky.
Kathy and her husband Kerry
1. Position at Centre? Registered nurse and director of Parsons Student Health Center
2. Where did you grow up (and describe the place in one phrase or sentence)? Stanford, Ky.; small Kentucky town, truly "community"
3. What are your hobbies? Photography (amateur), hiking and listening to music; is playing with your grandbaby a hobby?
4. What is your dream vacation? Mediterranean cruise, followed by hiking in the Swiss Alps, followed by some beach somewhere in the Caribbean—while we're dreaming, let's stretch that out over a couple of months at least.
5. Most prized possession (and why)? Photographs and videos of family, friends and pets; I treasure time spent with them and at least some of those moments are captured in photos. I guess the true capture of a moment takes place within the heart and mind but the photo triggers that memory.
6. Favorite novel (and why)? Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery; I read it in elementary school and still enjoy the story. Love the setting, the characters, and the relationships within the story.
7. Most memorable trip or vacation? Disney World when our girls (now grown) were six and nine years old—magical; also Washington State summer '09—fun hikes and incredible scenery
8. Movies: favorite dramatic film? Sound of Music Favorite comedy? Father of the Bride
9. Favorite album (and why)? Too many favorites!! James Taylor “Greatest Hits” acoustic (fun to sing along) Nora Jones “Come Away With Me” (same reason and a little jazzy), Jim Croce, Allison Krauss, Nancy Wilson, even AC/DC and Mozart rank pretty high with me
10. Favorite singer and/or band? Elton John, a musical mastermind in my opinion
11. Favorite food? Fruit, especially berries...and white chocolate
12. Most memorable experience of your youth? Moving to Bedford Hills, New York, only for my eighth grade year—a lot different from Stanford, Ky.
13. Three people, living or deceased, who you’d invite to the same dinner party? Oprah, Michelle Obama, Mom
14. Favorite aspect of your job? Direct patient care
15. Favorite Centre tradition? Couples kissing over the seal
16. What would you be doing if you weren't working at Centre? If I didn't need the money and insurance, caring full time for family members who could use my help, working disaster relief or medical missions. Since I do need money and insurance—working in an ER.
17. Educational experience that's been most helpful to you? Intensive care nursing; you learn about medicine but also about people and what matters to them.
18. Best thing about growing up in your family? Having parents who provided a secure environment of love and support and having two older brothers to do life with
19. Favorite place on campus (and why)? The Warehouse—love the old brick and wood, the atmosphere and the acoustics of that building. My daughter's wedding reception was there in 2007. It was beautiful and we had a fabulous time!
20. Advice you'd give to a first-year college student to make career success more likely? Listen, prioritize, demonstrate personal responsibility, act like the smart person that you are, build relationships and have a lot of fun!