20 Questions with Visual and Web Designer Ryan Lanigan
June 27, 2013
Ryan with his wife Renee' and two sons, Aiden and Asher.
Visual and Web Designer.
2. Where did you grow up (and describe the place in one phrase or sentence)?
I grew up in Waynesburg, Kentucky. "Rural" would probably suit it best. "The Woods" might work as well.
3. What are your hobbies?
I enjoy painting, photography, and ceramics. I wish I had more time to explore art in general, actually.
4. What is your dream vacation?
A really long one.
5. Favorite artist and/or work of art?
I love the versatility of Leonardo Da Vinci. There was seemingly nothing that man couldn't do in the realms of art and science.
6. Favorite novel or poem?
I consider Bob Dylan a poet, so I'll go with "Forever Young."
7. Favorite sport (to watch or play)?
I played football in high school, so I enjoyed that while it lasted. I prefer watching college basketball now.
8. Favorite TV show?
9. Favorite album?
Dark Side of the Moon, by Pink Floyd.
10. Favorite holiday?
Halloween. I loved the excitement of trick or treating as a kid.
11. Favorite food?
12. Most prized possession?
My kids made me a couple of plates with their handprints on them for father's day. They're in the #1 spot right now.
13. Three people, living or deceased, whom you'd invite to the same dinner party?
Da Vinci, Dali, and Descartes.
14. Favorite aspect of your job?
The feeling after a great design has been published. It's a great mix of relief and pride.
15. Most memorable experience of your youth?
Probably fox hunting with my grandpa and cousins. The dogs basically chased the foxes all night and we sat around the campfire and listened to them howl. I guess it was more fox harassing than fox hunting.
16. What would you be doing if you weren't working at Centre?
If I didn't have to work at all, I would be holed up in a studio painting.
17. Educational experience that's been most helpful to you?
I learned so much from Bill Roughen at EKU. He always took the time to relate formal design concepts to practical applications. He never lost sight of the importance of the real world connections.
18. Fictional character in whose shoes you'd love to spend a day?
Wolverine. I'm a giant geek.
19. Favorite place on campus (and why)?
The Palace Of Memory sculpture and the surrounding lawn is really cool. It seems like a great spot to read a book.
20. Advice you'd give to a first-year college student to make success more likely?
Focus. Enjoy yourself, but not at the expense of your education. College is fun, but it's also essential to soak up as much knowledge as you can. There won't always be this many people around to feed it to you.
Centre College, founded in 1819, is a nationally ranked liberal arts college in Danville, Ky. Centre hosted its second Vice Presidential Debate on 10.11.12, and remains the smallest college in the smallest town ever to host a general election debate. For more, click here.
Have comments, suggestions, or story ideas? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Communications Office at (859) 238-5748