Poverty and Homelessness Week at Centre is “inspirational and eye-opening”
Illustrating Centre College’s commitment to service, Centre students, faculty and staff are coming together the week of Nov. 16-20 to sponsor events on campus and in the community to raise awareness about poverty and empower students to engage in solutions.
National Poverty and Homelessness Week occurs annually the week before Thanksgiving and is a time for Americans to give back as they celebrate abundance and blessings in their lives. Each year, C.A.R.E. (Centre Action Reaches Everyone) and the Office of Religious Life collaborate to host events.
C.A.R.E. President Lauren Samuelson ’16 said that the “inspirational and eye-opening” events help her to think about what is happening in the world beyond the campus’s boundaries.
“It helps me become more aware of ways our world can be improved,” she explained. “The week personifies the work that Centre College does to bring the perspective of the world to Danville.”
To get involved, see the schedule below or contact Samuelson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Poverty and Homelessness Week Schedule
• Poverty & Homelessness Lecture Slam in Nichols Dining Room from 12 p.m.-1 p.m.
• Poverty and Homelessness Convo “Journey to Hope: The Experience of Refugees in Kentucky” in Weisiger Theatre at 7:30 p.m.
• Sign up for the Hunger Banquet and Oxfam Fast: Join C.A.R.E., STAND and SGA to donate shampoos, soaps and other toiletries for the Necessary Goods Drive
• The RAs of Cheek Evans will be running a Canned Food Drive at a Cowan table from Wednesday to Friday during lunch. Anyone who donates cans may enter their name in a drawing to win a $25 gift card.
• World Market with Peacecraft in Nichols Dining Room during lunch (11 a.m.-2 p.m.) and dinner (5 p.m.-7 p.m.)
• Hunger Banquet in Evans Lively Room in Old Carnegie at 6:30 p.m. (sign up by emailing email@example.com beforehand)
• World Market in Nichols dining room during lunch (11 a.m.-2 p.m.)
• Oxfam Fast: Donate your Friday night meal in Cowan—sign up at Cowan tables beforehand
by Elise L. Murrell
November 17, 2015