Common Application Troubleshooting
The Common Application released a new online application system in August, and the launch has not been without hitches (some of which have been documented in the press). Some tips to avoid trouble – and some options if you run into it:
- Plan ahead and allow extra time. Treat the Common Application like you would a drive to an important appointment when snow is forecast. Give yourself – and your recommenders – enough time to allow for potential slow-downs.
- Complete everything before you try to submit. Work through the application, answer Centre-specific questions, and invite your recommenders BEFORE you try and submit any part of it.
- Don’t be afraid to use the old-fashioned way. Once you are at the “submission” stage, you can use the Print Preview to create a PDF. If you have trouble submitting, we will accept a PDF by email to email@example.com, no fee charged. We will also accept recommendations by email.
- Use the support tools on the Common App site. The Help Center, Knowledge Base, and Support Center can help.
- Let us know. During office hours (8:30 to 5:00), we may be able to help if the Common App cannot. If nothing else, we can note your difficulty and make sure that technical problems beyond your control do not prevent your application from getting full and fair review.
- Consider completing Centre's Alternate Application instead. In response to the widespread issues reported by Common Application users, Centre has created an official alternative that is confirmed to be in working order. Begin the application or learn more here.
For School Officials
If you are experiencing technical issues and are unable to upload school forms, recommendations, and transcripts, Centre will accept paper copies of these documents. The name of the applicant should appear on each page of the documents you send and these can be faxed to 859-238-5373 or mailed to the Office of Admission, Centre College, 600 W.Walnut St., Danville, KY 40422. If you prefer to scan and email the documents to us, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line formatted thusly: "Official Application Materials for Student's Legal Name."
Questions or comments? Please contact the Office of Admission at 859-238-5350 (or 800-423-6236). We know you are working to calm the anxiety of your students and their parents as deadlines approach. Please assure them that Centre stands ready to be as flexible as necessary in the coming weeks.