|Sutcliffe Athletic Center
Date Built: 1915, renovated 1962, expansion and further renovation completed in 2005.
Named For: Mr. and Mrs. E.G. Sutcliffe
Built in 1915 as the Boyle-Humphrey Alumni Gymnasium, the original name recognized an earlier athletic facility that honored two donors from the Class of 1866. The 1915 name also acknowledged the alumni whose gifts enabled the College to rebuild after a fire destroyed its new facility shortly before the scheduled opening. In 1962, the building was dramatically expanded and renamed to honor then-board chair Elbert Gary Sutcliffe, Class of 1917, and his wife, Edith McClure Sutcliffe, Class of 1912. The building was expanded again with the 2005 College Centre project. Centre's tradition of exciting basketball stretches throughtout the life of the building. The early days saw Colonel victories over such teams as the Kentucky Wildcats and the University of Tennessee. During the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, Sutcliffe was host to a number of NCAA Division III tournaments, including the women's "final four" in 1989.
Sutcliffe Hall is the hub for all intercollegiate, intramural, recreation, and fitness activity on campus. Sutcliffe contains three gymnasiums, four racquetball courts, two fitness rooms including the Buck Fitness Center, an athletic training room, an aerobics studio, seven locker rooms, coaches offices, the offices of the Directors of Athletics and Recreation, and the Hall of Fame Cafe.