Date Built: 1853; renovated in 1958
Named For: Henry Nelson Craik, Class of 1890
Current Use: residence of the College president
The two-story Italianate mansion was built in the 1853 for William L. Moore. The interior of the house was constructed entirely of white walnut which Moore cut from timber on his farm near Danville. In the early 20th century a Greek Revival facade and portico was added to the front. From 1877 until 1937 the home was owned the George W. Welsh family. Welsh was a prominent Danville merchant and a member of the Centre Board of Trustees from 1866 to 1924. In 1937 Centre bought the property as the new residence of the College president with funds from a bequest by Henry Nelson Craik, Class of 1890, whose conscience hurt him because he attended Centre on a ministerial scholarship but never entered the ministery. Prior to the purchase of Craik House, Centre College presidents had lived in Hillcrest House. Robert L. McLeod was the first president to occupy the home. Craik House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.