Find Articles: General/Multidisciplinary
General or multidisciplinary databases will index several hundred (sometimes thousands) of journals across many subject areas or disciplines. Because of their broad coverage, they are often good places to begin your research or to find a few relevant articles. Although there is some overlap of journal coverage among the databases, many journals are indexed in only one of the databases. For this reason, it is a good idea to search more than one of the databases. For broader, more comprehensive journal coverage of a particular subject, use a subject-specific database.
- Academic Search Premier
- A multi-disciplinary index to periodicals, Academic Search Premier provides indexing for over 8,000 scholarly and popular periodicals, and full text for more than 4,500 of these. Designed specifically for academic institutions, ASP spans most areas of study. Coverage varies, but most titles begin in the late 1980's and early 1990's.
- Historical New York Times
- Searchable full text of the New York Times back to the first issue of the newspaper with full page and article images. Includes digital reproductions providing access to every page from every available issue. Coverage is from 1851 to 2003.
- Full text back files of core scholarly journals in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Note: the most recent 2-5 years of the published materials are not available.
- LexisNexis Academic
- A collection of databases with information on a wide range of topics, including news, business, politics and government, law, state and country information, biography, references works and dictionaries, health and medicine, and taxes and accounting. Most articles are in full text. Covers 1980's to the present.
- OmniFile Full Text Mega
- Collection of several Wilson full text databases that includes indexing, abstracting, and full text from core academic journals in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Indexing dates back to 1984; full text of articles begins in 1995.
- Project Muse
- Full text from nearly 250 academic journals in the humanities and social sciences. Coverage varies by title.
- Elsevier is the world's leading publisher of social, physical, and health science information, producing 25% of the world's scientific journal information. The ScienceDirect College Edition collection provides access to more than 1,900 multidisciplinary peer-reviewed journal titles, including leading titles like The Lancet and Tetrahedron Letters.
Last updated January 7, 2010