Search Centre College Digital Archives
Buildings and Campus
- Selected photographs of Centre College campus and buildings.
- Bilbo, Archibald Survey (December 3, 1818)
- Survey by Archibald Bilbo of seven acres of John Cochran's pasture land for the campus of the new college. The Board of Trustees paid $400 for the land. A few months later a strip 20 feet wide and the length of the first, was added to the north side. The two comprise the area bounded today by Main Street, College Street, Walnut Street, and Maple Avenue.
- Contract to Build Old Centre (1819)
- Undated contract between the Board of Trustees of Centre College and Richard Crutchfield for the construction of Old Centre. The Board of Trustees minutes for April 3, 1819 has the entry "The Committee to contract for building reported a contract with R. D. Crutchfield & Robert Russell which was approved by the board & signed by the Chairman & members."
- Plan of Old Centre (1819)
- Unsigned and undated plan for for the construction of Old Centre. The Board of Trustees minutes for February 19, 1819, note that "The Committee appointed to report a draft of the College Edifice made a Report which was adopted ..."
- Indenture between John Cochran and Trustees of Centre College (April 1819)
- Indenture between John Cochran and Trustees of Centre College selling the school seven acres, comprising the original campus of the college.
- Articles of agreement between John Cochran and Trustees of Centre College (March 1820)
- Articles of agreement between John Cochran and Trustees of Centre College selling the college an additional parcel of land.
- Miller, Charles C. Proposal For Design of Sayre Library (May 3, 1861)
- Proposal by architect Charles C. Miller to John Boyle, Centre College trustee, for the design of Sayre Library. Built in 1862 with a donation from David A. Sayre, a prominent Lexington, Kentucky, businessman, the octagonal building served as the Centre College library until its demolition in 1893.
- Miller, Charles C. Letter to Ormond Beatty (May 1, 1862)
- Letter from Charles C. Miller to Ormond Beatty, president of Centre College, inquiring about payment for his design of Sayre Library.
- Stancliff and Vodges. Letter to Heman H. Allen (July 16, 1862)
- Letter from the Louisville architectural firm of Stancliff and Vodges to Heman H. Allen, financial agent and treasurer of Centre College, inquiring about submitting plans for the design of Old Main.
- Old Main Proposal (1869) (PDF, 1.1Mb)
- Builder specifications for the construction of Old Main.
- Memorial Dormitory proposal (1906) (PDF, 760 Kb)
- Letter requesting donations for Memorial Dormitory. The building would never be constructed.
- Proposal to open Beatty Ave. (August 15, 1906) (PDF, 1.3Mb)
- Proposal from the Kentucky Supply Company to open a street (Beatty Ave.) from Walnut St. to the stockyards, and to extend Russell St. to its intersection with Beatty. The college accepted the proposal.