Search Centre College Digital Archives
Kentucky School for the Deaf
- Centre College Board of Trustees Minutes
- From 1823 until 1848 when a separate minute book was begun, the Trustees minutes include much information about the administration and financial situation of the school.
- Allin, Richard C. Letter to David G. Cowan (October 2, 1832)
- In 1822 the Kentucky General Assembly passed an act to create the Kentucky Asylum for the Tuition of the Deaf and Dumb, today's Kentucky School for the Deaf. The act located the school in Danville, and placed it under the administration of the Board of Trustees of Centre College. In 1826 the U.S. Congress made a gift to the school of a township of public land, located in Florida. The hope was that the sale of the land would create an endowment large enough to make the school financially independent of outside sources. The letter from Richard C. Allin, agent for the Asylum in Florida, illustrates the problems faced in trying to sell the land: sales were slow, prices poor, and many people unable to pay.
- Annual Catalog (1860) (PDF, 1.4Mb)
- Catalog of classes for the "Kentucky Institution for the Education of Deaf Mutes".