The history of the Danville Female Academy is sketchy. Chartered in 1860, the school operated under the arm of the First Baptist Church of Danville. Duncan H. Selph, church pastor, served as principal during the mid-1860's. Others included A.S. Worrell, Henry McDonald, and Herbert Davis. One member of the faculty was Lottie Moon, who served from 1866 until 1870. Moon would later gain fame for her missionary work in China. The willingness of the church to offer free education to the daughters of Baptist ministers created much financial uncertainty. In 1869 the school merged with Caldwell Institute, another women's college in Danville. The building constucted for the Danville Female Academy would later be used by the Danville Classical and Military Institute. Following a devastating fire in 1873, Caldwell College purchased the building and grounds as its new home.