Telephone area code to change April 1
The Centre College campus will be affected by a change in the telephone area code that goes into effect April 1, 2000. The code for a substantial portion of Central Kentucky and Northern Kentucky will change from 606 to 859 on that date.
To ease the transition, the Kentucky Public Service Commission has provided for a six month "permissive dialing" period (April 1-Sept. 30). During that period, callers can be connected by using either area code. However, at the end of that time, beginning Oct. 1, callers using 606 will not be connected to the college. It is important that members of the college community begin using the 859 area code and promoting awareness of the new number. Students will want to inform parents and friends of the change, and college employees should take appropriate steps to inform colleagues, vendors, and other interested persons.
The geographical area affected by the change stretches in a narrow corridor from Northern Kentucky through Fayette County to the southern end of Boyle and Garrard counties. The affected counties, in alphabetical order, are: Boone, Bourbon, Boyle, Campbell, Clark, Fayette, Gallatin, Garrard, Grant, Harrison, Jessamine, Kenton, Madison, Mercer, Montgomery, Nicholas, Pendleton, Washington, and Woodford. Small portions of Casey, Lincoln and Scott counties also are included. Any area that has been in the 502 area code will be unaffected by the change. For a map of the affected areas, visit the Public Service Commission website and choose "Area Code Map" [www.psc.state.ky.us].
Centre tips and recommendations for the transition
· The computer system at Centre will be virtually unaffected by this change, except for the limited number of persons who have dial-up accounts. Dial-up users should begin using the new area code on April 1.
· Fax machines will continue to send and receive faxes without any reprogramming, but the number that identifies the machine on out-going faxes will appear to be in error. Offices may find it relatively easy to reprogram their fax machines (follow directions in the user's manual or call a service representative for instructions). Group calling lists stored within fax machines should be updated before Oct. 1.
· The Centre senior staff recommends that offices wait until after the beginning of the new fiscal year (July 1) to order replacement letterhead, business cards and other imprinted items. Offices that make very limited use of imprinted materials may opt to delay reordering.
· Students and employees may want to use a special E-mail sign-off or voice mail greeting in early April to call attention to the area code change.
· Persons who use wireless phone and paging service providers should check to see if reprogramming is required.
- end -
Questions or concerns about the changeover at Centre? Contact Vickie Glidewell or Patsi Trollinger in the Communications Office. Telephone 606-238-5714
Coordinator of public information: Patsi Barnes Trollinger