||Ten reasons not to explore Centre College
RELEASED: Aug. 4, 2005
DANVILLE, KYThis is the time of year when many students are learning more about colleges and universities. We hope prospective students and their parents explore Centre, but knowing that deciding among more than 3,000 institutions can be difficult, we offer the following list in the hope that it may clarify what our college has to offer.
- 10 You plan to spend five or six years earning your degree. The odds are against you97 percent of students who graduate from Centre complete their degree in four years.
- 9 You enjoy gambling on your education. Centre encourages students to take risks, but not on their education. In fact, we guarantee that students who meet the College's academic and social expectations can do an internship, study abroad, and graduate in four yearsor we provide up to a year of additional study tuition-free. That's the Centre Commitment. [http://www.centre.edu/web/news/2005/commitagain05.html]
- 8 You're more interested in being a follower than a leader. We provide such a range of leadership opportunitiesfrom clubs to service organizations to a formal leadership programthat they could be difficult to avoid over four years.
- 7 You prefer a cookie-cutter curriculum. Not available here. From opportunities to do original research with professors, to the creative courses of CentreTerm, we offer a personally tailored education that makes the most of every student's individual interests and abilities.
- 6 You're determined never to set foot outside the United States. Centre could be your passport to, well, a passport. If you come to a school that has one of the top-10 foreign study programs in the country, youlike most Centre studentsfind yourself studying virtually anywhere in the world (for practically the same cost as studying at the Danville campus).
- 5 Earning two majors or designing your own major seems overly ambitious. You'd run the risk of having your ambitions stretched. Centre students regularly complete two majors in four years or design their own majors.
- 4 You have your heart set on a few leisurely years of unemployment after graduation. Unlikely. Within nine months of graduation, 96 percent of Centre students are either employed or engaged in advanced study.
- 3 The thought of receiving a post-graduate scholarship depresses you. This place could really get you down. Our students regularly win the world's most prestigious advanced-study awardsRhodes, Rotary, Fulbright, Truman, for example.
- 2 You're compelled to avoid famous people. From Vice President Dick Cheney to filmmaker Spike Lee to novelist Barbara Kingsolver to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, Centre has a steady stream of internationally known campus visitors.
- 1 You have a fear of success. Centre could be your worst nightmare. After graduation, our alumni feel so good about the success Centre enables them to achieve, they lead the nation in loyalty in providing financial support.
On the other hand, if you want a personal education that will expose you to the world (guaranteed) and prepare you for exceptional success, we hope you will explore Centre. Schedule a campus visit to learn more about us in person. [https://www.applyweb.com/public/inquiry?centinq]
- end -
Founded in 1819, Centre College is ranked among the U.S. News top 50 national liberal arts colleges. Centre alumni, known for their nation-leading loyalty in annual financial support, include two U.S. vice presidents and two Supreme Court justices. For more, visit http://www.centre.edu/web/elevatorspeech/
For news archives go to http://www.centre.edu/web/news/newsarchive.html.
600 W. Walnut Street
Danville, KY 40422
Public Information Coordinator: Telephone 859-238-5714
Back to News and Events Home Page