||10 facts about Centre College
RELEASED: July 14, 2005
DANVILLE, KY1. U.S. News & World Report ranks Centre among the top-50 national liberal arts colleges, and The Princeton Review 2005: The Best Colleges features the College.
2. Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine ranks Centre as one of the top-50 values among all private colleges ("a combination of impressive academics and affordable costs") and Centre is rated a "Best Buy" by the Fiske Guide to Colleges.
3. Because of nation-leading alumni support, Centre is the most affordable of the U.S. News national liberal arts colleges and is able to fund generous financial aid and scholarship programs. (About 80 percent of students receive financial assistance that includes need and/or merit awards.)
4. Classes are smallthe average size is 18, with an 10 to 1 student/faculty ratio. Ninety-eight percent of faculty members hold the Ph.D. or other final degree.
5. Centre students are intensely involved in learning. The National Survey of Student Engagement recently reported that in measures such as the level of academic challenge, collaborative learning, and interaction with faculty, Centre students are among the most "educationally engaged" in the country.
6. Centre makes a unique commitment: Students who meet the College's academic and social expectations are guaranteed an internship, study abroad, and graduation in four yearsor the College will provide up to an additional year of study tuition-free.
7. Centre provides extraordinary educational on-campus events for studentsfor example, the 2000 Vice Presidential Debate and concerts, plays, and musicals by some of the world's best performing artists at the College's Norton Center for the Arts.
8. U.S. News recognizes Centre's international study program as one of the top 10 in the nation (semester-long opportunities at campuses in England, France, Mexico, Japan, and Ireland and three-week opportunities at many other locations). About 75 percent of Centre students participate in foreign study.
9. Within nine months of graduation 96 percent of Centre students (on average) are either employed or engaged in advanced study.
10. Centre leads the nation in "customer satisfaction"the percentage of alumni who make an annual financial contribution.
- end -
Founded in 1819, Centre College is ranked among the U.S. News top 50 national liberal arts colleges. Centre alumni, known for their nation-leading loyalty in annual financial support, include two U.S. vice presidents and two Supreme Court justices. For more, visit http://www.centre.edu/web/elevatorspeech/
For news archives go to http://www.centre.edu/web/news/newsarchive.html.
600 W. Walnut Street
Danville, KY 40422
Public Information Coordinator: Telephone 859-238-5714
Back to News and Events Home Page