20 Questions: A sketch of Centre associate dean and math professor Bill Johnston
RELEASED: March 2, 2006
|Bill Johnston at the Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock with wife Susan and daughter Katie in 2000; and on a cross-country biking trip in Wales with students Jayan Eder, Caleb Judge and Scott Hunt, 1999.
DANVILLE, KY 1. Position/title: Associate Dean and Stodghill Professor of Mathematics
2. Hometown: I grew up in Winston-Salem, N.C., and have lived in Danville for 18 years.
3. Career highlight: Being able to help students when they need and deserve support at Centre.
4. Signature classes: "Complex Analysis," "Integration Theory"
5. Recent publication/exhibition/performance: I am currently developing a textbook with Alex McAllister titled Answering Fundamental Questions: An Introduction to Mathematics. It's for a survey course in mathematics, taught at the sophomore level.
6. Family details: Married to Susan, daughter Katie is 13
7. Hobbies: Golf, crossword puzzles, reading
8. Pets: A black lab Roxie and a cat Tiger
9. Prized possession: My Ph.D. diploma—it feels like, "I earned it."
10. Last book read: Luke Timothy Johnson's The Creed.
11. Memorable trip/vacation: To Jerusalem in February 2000.
12. Favorite movies: Casablanca; Back to the Future; Life Is Beautiful
13. Favorite album:Hereford Cathedral's Anglican Chants of selected Psalms (I know it’s not everyone’s favorite, but it features a magnificent choir performing in a musical setting that is important to me.)
14. Favorite food: Steak
15. Favorite smell: Homemade bread
16. Person you most admire: Besides Christ, a tie between Abe Lincoln and St. Paul
17. Living figure you'd most like to meet: Besides Christ, Bill Clinton
18. Historical figure you'd most like to meet: Besides Christ, Winston Churchill
19. What would you be doing if you weren't teaching at Centre: Teaching somewhere else.
20. Describe yourself in three words: Logical, optimistic, purposeful
- end -
Founded in 1819, Centre College is ranked among the U.S. News top 50 national liberal arts colleges. Centre alumni, known for their nation-leading loyalty in annual financial support, include two U.S. vice presidents and two Supreme Court justices. For more, visit http://www.centre.edu/web/elevatorspeech/
For news archives go to http://www.centre.edu/web/news/newsarchive.html.
600 W. Walnut Street
Danville, KY 40422
Public Information Coordinator: Telephone 859-238-5714
Back to News and Events Home Page