20 Questions: A sketch of Centre economics professor Robert Martin
RELEASED: Feb. 23, 2006
|Bob Martin showing off a keeper, and with his family at his oldest son's wedding in Miami, 2002. Writes Martin, "The others in the photo are my daughter Amy on the extreme left, my son Aaron, his wife Mariam, me, my son Dieter, his wife Karen, and my wife Marlene."
DANVILLE, KY1. Position/title:Ewing T. Boles Professor of Economics
2. Hometown: Sweetwater, Texas
3. Career highlight: Publication of "Franchising and Risk Management." American Economic Review, 78, December 1988, 954-68. The AER is the most prestigious journal in the economics profession.
4. Signature class: It’s a toss-up between "Corporate Finance," "Intermediate Micro," and "Econometrics." I love economics, so it's hard to pick just one.
5. Recent publication/exhibition/performance: Book—Cost Control, College Access, and Competition in Higher Education, Edward Elgar, Pub. 2005.
6. Family details: Married, with three children and four grandchildren. My wife is a gifted fabric artist and a warm, loving person. All of my children and their spouses are very accomplished people, caring parents and responsible citizens. Their private and professional accomplishments are the things that give me the most personal satisfaction.
7. Hobbies: Racquetball, reading, and fishing
8. Pets: Three dogs
9. Prized possession: I don’t value things very much. I place most value on my family.
10. Last book read:All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
11. Memorable trip/vacation: Trips to Alaska
12. Favorite movie:Crash
13. Favorite album:Bering Strait
14. Favorite food: Salmon
15. Favorite smell: Fresh bread
16. Person you most admire: Winston Churchill
17. Living figure you'd most like to meet: Alan Greenspan
18. Historical figure you'd most like to meet: Abraham Lincoln
19. What would you be doing if you weren't teaching at Centre: I would be teaching at some other institution.
20. Describe yourself in three words: Passionate, curious and intense
- end -
Founded in 1819, Centre College is ranked among the U.S. News top 50 national liberal arts colleges. Centre alumni, known for their nation-leading loyalty in annual financial support, include two U.S. vice presidents and two Supreme Court justices. For more, visit http://www.centre.edu/web/elevatorspeech/
For news archives go to http://www.centre.edu/web/news/newsarchive.html.
600 W. Walnut Street
Danville, KY 40422
Public Information Coordinator: Telephone 859-238-5714
Back to News and Events Home Page