20 Questions: A sketch of Centre education professor Barbara Romine
RELEASED: March 9, 2006
| Barbara Romine: with husband Joe and daughter Lori
DANVILLE, KY1. Position/title: Associate Professor in the Department of Education
2. Hometown: Severna Park, Md.
3. Career highlight: Invited keynote speaker for the Regional International Association meeting at the Citadel in Charles, S.C.
4. Signature class: Graduate students in "Issues and Trends in Reading" at Georgia Southern University
5. Recent publication/exhibition/performance: My last publication in a nationally peer reviewed journal, The Reading Teacher, was in 1999. I left higher education at that time to teach in the public schools for five years before coming to Centre. Publication was put on the back burner during those years. One of the most fun and well-attended presentations I conducted with a colleague was at the National Science Teachers Convention. The topic was “Books, Rocks and a Mouse” where we integrated reading, geology and technology.
6. Family details: Married to Joe Romine. We have four grown children between us and three grandchildren. My daughter's name is Lori. Joe's children are James, Zack and Suzie. Lori is married to Dave; Suzie is married to Bruce (They have three children: Blanton, Harrison and Gracie). Zack is married to Becky. We have a great time together now that we moved from Savannah, Ga. to Kentucky to spend more time with them.
7. Hobbies: Reading, playing tennis, stained glass, music.
8. Pets: I have two granddogs, Max, a black lab and Bailey, a toy poodle! Does that count? [Absolutely. Ed.]
9. Prized possession: My husband and family are the most dear to me.
10. Last book read:The Kite Runner and Girl in Hyacinth Blue
11. Memorable trip/vacation: Stratford in Ontario, Canada for the Stratford Shakespeare Festival and Brazil for one month conducting research while teaching at Georgia Southern University.
12. Favorite movie: An old, old, movie entitled Foul Play with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase
13. Favorite album:Jersey Boys, new Broadway musical hit about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
14. Favorite food: Ice cream and chocolate; warm bread and butter
15. Favorite smell: Chanel No. 5
16. Person you most admire: My husband and my daughter
17. Living figure you'd most like to meet: Jimmy Buffet
18. Historical figure you'd most like to meet: Jacqueline Kennedy
19. What would you be doing if you weren't teaching at Centre: Writing children's books; creating art
20. Describe yourself in three words: Strong work ethic.
- end -
Founded in 1819, Centre College is ranked among the U.S. News top 50 national liberal arts colleges. Centre alumni, known for their nation-leading loyalty in annual financial support, include two U.S. vice presidents and two Supreme Court justices. For more, visit http://www.centre.edu/web/elevatorspeech/
For news archives go to http://www.centre.edu/web/news/newsarchive.html.
600 W. Walnut Street
Danville, KY 40422
Public Information Coordinator: Telephone 859-238-5714
Back to News and Events Home Page