Types of Aid2020-06-11T14:20:24-04:00


Financial Aid at Centre comes in four types and includes both merit-based and need-based aid. Need-based aid includes grants, loans, and work-study. Merit-based aid includes scholarships. We have three types of scholarships: general merit scholarships, special scholarships, and premier scholarships.


A grant is a gift. You do not have to repay it. You must file an application for financial aid so that the amount of the grant award can be determined. Grants can come from the college, the state, or the Federal Government. These awards are based on need and are awarded for one year at a time. For information on specific grant programs, view the following descriptions below: Pell Grant, KHEAA State Grant, Centre Endowment Grant, and SEO Grant.

  • Pell Grant

    A federally-funded program. You are automatically considered for the grant when you submit the FAFSA. Recipients must take a minimum of 12 hours per billing period to receive a maximum Pell Grant.

  • KHEAA State Grants

    The Kentucky Tuition Grant (KTG) is a need-based aid program to help Kentucky residents attend eligible Kentucky private colleges. The College Access Program (KCAP) grant is a need-based aid program to help Kentucky residents attend eligible Kentucky private and public colleges. Centre College may have to reduce the KHEAA grant due to receipt of scholarship dollars. You must take a minimum of 12 hours each long term to receive your state grant.

  • Centre Endowment Grant

    Administered and awarded by the College and funded by Centre’s endowment, alumni gifts, and other income. See the Centre College Catalog for a full listing.

  • SEO Grant

    A federal grant program administered through Centre. Requires no additional application. Eligibility is determined from an analysis of your FAFSA data.


Student loan programs offer low interest rates. Most loans offer delayed repayment, which means that you do not begin loan payments until after you graduate. The Financial Aid Office must certify each student loan application. This will assist you in determining the amount to borrow. For information on specific loan programs, view the following descriptions: Stafford Loan, PLUS Loan, and Other Loan Options.

  • Stafford Loan

    As of July 2010, all Stafford Loan dollars come from the federal government through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. The Federal Stafford Direct Loan is a loan that must be repaid after graduation or withdrawal. A student must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible for a Stafford Loan. A subsidized Stafford Loan is need-based and the federal government pays the interest while the student is enrolled in college. An unsubsidized Stafford Loan is not need-based; therefore, the student is responsible for paying the interest while he/she is in school.

  • PLUS Loan

    The Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is limited to parent borrowers and can be obtained from the government. To apply for a PLUS Loan, go to StudentAid.gov. The PLUS Loan has a fixed interest rate capped at 5.3%. Repayment begins within 60 days after the loan is disbursed and can extend over 10 years.

  • Other Alternative/Private Loan Options

    In some cases, alternative/private loans have interest rates, repayment terms, and deferment options that are less favorable than those of the Direct Loan Programs. FastChoice will help educate students and will provide an historical listing of alternative loan lenders that Centre College students have used over the last four years (2016-2020). Centre College does not rank, recommend, promote, or endorse any of these lenders. We strongly encourage you to review each lender’s information considering interest rates, loan fees, repayment terms, and deferment and forbearance options before choosing a lender. The student is free to choose any lender.


The Federal Work-Study Program allows you to work on campus to earn money to help pay for college. You are paid for hours worked, and you gain valuable practical experience. Your hours are arranged around your class schedule. You must be eligible based on your FAFSA to qualify for Federal Work-Study.


Scholarships are gifts that are based upon talent or “merit” (academic achievement, extracurricular activities, and leadership). Scholarships are renewable for four years and carry an obligation to perform at a certain level of achievement. For information on specific scholarships, view the following descriptions: KEES Scholarship, Merit Scholarships, and Outside Scholarships.

  • KEES Scholarship

    For Kentucky high school graduates. The amount you earn is based on your high school GPA and ACT score. The amount listed on your financial aid award is a Centre College estimate; we will revise your award in September once we have your official KEES award amount. Check your estimated KEES award online by visiting the KHEAA web site.

  • Merit Scholarships

    Centre offers merit-based scholarships based on academic achievement, extracurricular accomplishment, and personal character. All students who apply for admission by January 15 are automatically considered for all merit scholarships. These renewable four-year merit scholarships range from $7,500 to $26,000 each year.

  • Outside Scholarships

    All scholarships from agencies other than Centre must be reported to the Financial Aid Office. (Aid adjustments may have to be made.) Scholarships of $1000 or less normally require no change to the Centre grant. Scholarships of $1000 or more may reduce the Centre grant.