Centre men’s soccer overwhelmed Hendrix by a wide 10-0 margin Sunday, marking the 200th career victory for Head Coach Jeb Burch.
By rolling past the Warriors and earning their first Southern Athletic Association win of the season, the Colonels improved to 8-4-1 overall and 1-2-1 in-conference. Hendrix falls to 4-10 (0-4 SAA).
Already the winningest coach in program history, Burch owns a 200-84-32 all-time record since taking over in 2002. The Centre grad has had just one sub-.500 season in 16 years, and has a sparkling 15-0-1 mark against Hendrix specifically.
– Alexander Garuba scored the first of four goals in the 19thminute, putting away the game’s opening goal off an assist from Royce Pope. He would score again five minutes later from a Nick Mazzarella pass.
– AJ Jallow would record a first-half brace, as well, scoring a pair of unassisted goals from the left side of the penalty box to make it 4-0. They were the first career goals in the sophomore’s career.
– Just before half, Xavier Tomlin converted a goal to balloon Centre’s lead to 5-0.
– Garuba completed the hat trick on a penalty kick in the second half. It is his second career hat trick after pulling it off in last season’s meeting with Hendrix.
– Pope added a goal of his own in the 61st minute, and Tomlin scored Centre’s eighth off a Garuba assist. The latter goal gave Tomlin his first career multi-score game.
– Mazzarella and Garuba capped the scoring with goals just 40 seconds apart in the late stages of the match. Pope assisted on both to finish with five total points.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
– Centre’s 10 goals were the most since a 14-0 win at Aurora in Burch’s inaugural season (10/17/02).
– The Colonels amassed 36 shots (22 SOG), as Garuba led all individuals with 12.
– Centre recorded 25 total points with 10 goals and five assists, far more than the next highest output of 14 in the season opener against Gallaudet.
– Bailey Spade played most of the match in goal, recording two saves, while Tate Johnson saw late game action.
Centre returns home to face Millsaps Friday, Oct. 12, for an 8:30 p.m. ET start.
by Centre College Athletics
October 9, 2018