Identity Change Request2019-10-04T14:18:00-04:00

Name & Gender Identity Change Request Form

Centre College developed a policy in fall 2017 whereby current transgender students may request a new first and/or middle name on campus, regardless of whether they have legally changed their name. Except where the legal name is required by law, industry standard, or strong business need, the College will endeavor to use the new name(s).

In addition to designating a new name or names, this policy allows transgender students to designate a gender marker that differs from their sex at birth, with the understanding that there may be some systems where the implementation of a gender marker other than the legal sex is not possible.

Because Centre has many information systems, it is possible that changes will not take effect in some areas of the College or will take effect more slowly in some areas than in others.

That said, the new name(s) will be reflected:

  • In the Centre College portal (Centrenet)
  • On class rosters (beginning CentreTerm 2018)
  • In news releases and announcements, though students may choose to not have information shared publicly by indicating this preference in the annual “Permission for Publicity” survey or by contacting the Office of Communications
  • On the Centre ID

Once completed, it should be submitted to Dr. Andrea Abrams, Associate Vice President for Diversity Affairs and Special Assistant to the President

A small committee appointed by the president will review each request. Once approved, every effort will be made to share the changes across campus with all relevant offices in a timely fashion.

Frequently Asked Questions

The goal of the policy is to foster an inclusive campus environment that encourages self-expression. Centre College expects that requests will be made after careful consideration and with good intent. While the College reserves the right to deny any request, this would be done only if the request is deemed inappropriate in any way. For instance, name changes may not be used to avoid legal obligations or for illegal purposes, and they should not include offensive or derogatory language.

No, not directly, but the new name(s) will appear on the class roster within two weeks of your request’s approval beginning CentreTerm 2018.

Yes, but please note that names on diplomas are indicated through a separate process at the time of degree application through the Office of the Registrar.

Yes. Please contact the Office of Information Technology Services to obtain a new email alias and account ID. The activation date of the new alias and account will be determined at the time of the request.

While Centre College will attempt to use your new name(s) wherever possible, the full legal name will continue to be used when external sources require it or when the College determines that there is a strong business interest to use it, such as:

  • Billing records
  • Checks and direct deposits issues by the Business Office
  • Federal immigration documents
  • Financial aid documents
  • Medical records
  • Non-resident visas and supporting documentation
  • Payroll records
  • Student loan documents
  • Tax forms
  • Transcripts

Please visit the Student Life Office to obtain a new Centre College ID card that reflects the new name(s).

A student’s sex at birth and gender identity will only be reflected in the College’s official record. Documents like class rosters, diplomas, dean’s list certificates, and transcripts do not indicate a student’s sex or gender.

No. This is primarily about making changes to the College’s records, and then allowing those Centre personnel with a need to know to have the information and use it appropriately. For example, professors will see a new name on a class roster, but not a gender designation. Others on campus will not be directly informed, but might see your new name on a directory list, club list, cast list in a play, athletic team roster, etc.

When this happens, please bring it to our attention through the Diversity Office. We can then review to see if the new name can be used in that instance, what steps are needed to update our process or IT system to accommodate the change, or what campus office should be contacted to make the necessary change.

Dr. Andrea Abrams, interim associate vice president of academic affairs and diversity initiatives, is the first place to start. If he is unable to answer your questions, an appropriate colleague will be recommended.