The pre-optometry program at Centre offers classes that you need to get into optometry school. In addition, many of our pre-optometry students do internships with local optometrists.
Doctors of Optometry (O.D.s) complete a challenging four-year degree program at a school or college of optometry. Most accepted students have previously completed an undergraduate degree.
Most pre-optometry students major in the sciences, but this is not required. If you have an interest in helping people, and enjoy math and science, consider optometry as a career.
For a list of general and school-specific prerequisites, view the Optometry School PDF.
Pre-optometry students should consult with faculty advisor Professor Marie Nydam and can reach her by email here.
What Courses Should I Take?
Students interested in pursuing a degree in optometry after Centre should expect to take courses in biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, and other disciplines.
Suggested Courses for Pre-Optometry Students
- Evolution, Biodiversity, Ecology (BIO 110)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 226)
- Microbiology (BIO 340)
- Histology (BIO 345)
- Immunology (BIO 355)
- Introduction to Biochemistry and Cell Biology (BMB 210)
- Molecular Genetics (BMB 330)
- General Chemistry I (CHE 131)
- Organic Chemistry I (CHE 241)
- Topics in Writing (ENG 170)
- Introduction to Statistics (MAT 130)
- Calculus I (MAT 170)
- General Physics I (PHY 210)
- Introduction to Psychology (PSY 110)