CENTER FOR CAREER & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
The Center for Career & Professional Development (CCPD) helps students and alumni plan, prepare, and promote their careers. CCPD helps students apply for internships, jobs and graduate school, as well as explore career options and interests.
Effective June 1, 2014, Joy took on the position of Director of the Center for Career & Professional Development. Joy is an alumna of Centre College, and has her M.S. in Counseling Psychology from the University of Kentucky. She has worked in the career center at Centre College for 15 years. Before coming to Centre, she was the Director of Graduate Employment Services at Spencerian College, and while a graduate student, interned at the University of Kentucky Career Center. She is active in the National and Southern region of the Association of Colleges and Employers and is the Past-President for the Kentucky Career Development Association. She is certified as a Master Career Specialist.
The mission of the Center for Career & Professional Development is to prepare students for lifelong career achievement. Specifically, we will:
guide students through the process of exploring and choosing careers;
- engage the faculty to help students connect the dots between their academic and career development;
- facilitate alumni engagement to further students’ career and professional development; and
- provide students and alumni with the tools and skills needed to access experiential opportunities and to achieve post-graduate success.
Career Counseling: One career counselor is assigned to each academic division. In addition, one career counselor is assigned for undecided students. Topics covered are at student direction, but often include: choosing a major, career exploration and decision-making (including self-assessments like YouScience, MBTI, Strong Interest Inventory), choosing and locating experiential opportunities, job searching, researching and applying to graduate school, and personal statement reviews.
- Career Roadmap: a four-year guide to career success.
- Career KickStart: an annual career exploration event for sophomores.
Career Chats: a monthly series focused on a different career field each month.
- Emerging Professionals series: a monthly series focusing on professional development topics.
- Career Mentor Network: an online directory of alumni who have volunteered to provide career information and/or advice to students.
- Resume and cover letter reviews.
- Mock interviews.
- Direct connection with employers: on-campus information sessions, on-campus and virtual interviews, resume review and mock interview days, Spotlight Career Fair.
Internships & Funding
- The CCPD works directly with students to help locate and apply to summer and school-year internships
- Internship funding programs to help support CentreTerm and summer internships.
- Peer educators are Centre students trained to provide front-line services to their peers.
- Weekly walk-in hours in the CCPD.
- Presentations for residence halls and student organizations (upon request).
Additional Special Events
- Senior Kickoff
- Law School Fair
- Local Internship Fair
- Programs specific to certain majors, in partnership with academic programs.
- Etiquette Dinner