Following the recent announcement by John Roush, the 20th president of Centre College, that he will retire on June 30, 2020, an 18-member committee composed of faculty, staff, trustee and student representatives has been formed by the Board of Trustees to conduct a national search for a successor.
In selecting members, the Board sought a group “that was diverse and representative of the breadth of viewpoints that are an inherent part of a place like Centre,” said Mark Nunnelly, who serves as the current Board chair and will also lead the search effort.
“Centre has always been known for its ability to maintain those values that bind us and have made us strong all while adapting to a changing world,” Nunnelly added. “Our new leader will have to help us explore and define this like never before.”
The 21st president of Centre will lead the College at a time of particular strength for the institution, which is currently celebrating its bicentennial and recently completed the $200 million Third Century Campaign, exceeding the goal by $10 million.
Committee members include:
- Andrea Abrams, Associate Vice President for Diversity Affairs, Special Assistant to the President and Associate Professor of Anthropology
- Benjamin Beaton ’03, trustee and partner at Squire Patton Boggs
- William Bowmer ’83, trustee and managing director at Lincoln International, LLC
- Anita Britton ’76, trustee and co-founding member of Britton Johnson, PLLC, Attorneys at Law
- Robert Brockman ’63, life trustee, former Board chair, and chairman and CEO of Reynolds and Reynolds Company
- Sheila Burks ’75, trustee and corporate legal counsel at OFS Fitel, LLC
- Jennie Carlson ’82, trustee and recently retired executive vice president and chief human resources officer of U.S. Bancorp
- David Grissom ’60, life trustee, former Board chair, and co-founder and chairman of Mayfair Capital
- Craig Hille ’97, trustee and managing director at Juggernaut Capital Partners
- Brian Hutzley, vice president, chief financial officer and treasurer at Centre College
- Judith Pointer Jia, W. Stodghill, Jr., and Adele H. Stodghill Professor of Art and chair of the Humanities division
- Bruce Johnson, James Graham Brown Professor of Economics holding the Marlene and David Grissom Professorship in Social Studies, and former faculty president
- Crit Luallen ’74, trustee, Board secretary and former lieutenant governor of Kentucky
- Thomas Meeker, trustee and former president and CEO of Churchill Downs
- Mark Nunnelly ’80, trustee, current Board chair, and chairman of Avalt Holdings and special limited partner at Bain Capital
- James Seabury III ’87, trustee, current Board vice-chair, and chairman and CEO of Enterprise Solutions
- Henry Snyder ’20, president of the Student Government Association, Brown Fellow, and economics and finance major
- John Wilson, H.W. Stodghill, Jr., and Adele H. Stodghill Professor of Mathematics and current faculty president
The Presidential Search Committee will meet regularly this summer and fall and will soon select a national search firm to assist in its work.
As well, the committee will be looking for multiple ways to ensure that the broader Centre community is able to provide input for this important work. In particular, student leaders will be included in the process as the new academic year begins and the search process evolves.
by Michael Strysick
July 26, 2019
Story revised on September 27 to reflect the addition of Henry Snyder ’20 to the committee. To read more, click here.