Sutcliffe Hall Athletic Center2018-05-18T14:41:54+00:00
  • the area in front of Sutcliffe Hall
  • Sutcliffe Hall Locker Room
  • Sutcliffe Hall
  • Racquetball at Sutcliffe Hall

Sutcliffe Hall – Athletic Center

Built: 1915
Renovated: 2015, 2005, 1962

Named for: Boyle-Humphrey Alumni Gymnasium, honoring two donors from the Class of 1866. Renamed in 1962 to honor then-board chair Elbert Gary Sutcliffe, Class of 1917, and his wife, Edith McClure Sutcliffe, Class of 1912
Address: 610 West Walnut Street
ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms, elevator

  • Athletic Offices
  • Recreation Areas (Racquetball Courts, Multi-Purpose Studio, Fitness, Walking Track)
  • Buck Fitness Center
  • Alumni Gymnasium (Tom Bryant Court)
  • Bowman Gymnasium
  • Hazelrigg Gymnasium
  • Hall of Fame Cafe
  • Parsons Center for Student Health and Counseling
  • Farris Stadium (Joe McDaniel Field and Herb McGuire Press Box)
  • Locker Rooms

Sutcliffe Hall is the hub of athletics and fitness at Centre and provides students with an outstanding setting for their social and physical growth and wellness. The Hall of Fame foyer features Centre sports memorabilia chronicling well over a century of high achievements in Centre College athletics.

There are two regulation racquetball courts with hardwood flooring and a viewing balcony. These courts are ideal for activity classes and recreational use. Two other regulation courts are available for volleyball and recreational play.

The Hall of Fame Café is located on the second floor and is a favorite hangout for students, faculty, and staff between classes and during half time between athletic contests. The cafe features Sandella’s Flatbread Cafe.

Parsons Center for Student Health and Counseling is located on the ground floor. The staff and counselors provide a complete approach to wellness including physical and mental health issues. A registered nurse and physician’s assistant are available during regular hours. Physician Clinics are offered four days each week.
The Buck Fitness Center (an athletic training room), an aerobics studio, seven locker rooms, and offices for the entire coaching and athletic staff.
The Alumni Gymnasium is the home of both the men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball teams. The facility features hardwood flooring and six regulation basketball goals and is restricted to use by varsity teams only. On December 3, 2004 the gym floor was dedicated to Tom Bryant, honoring the former Centre men’s basketball coach and athletic director.
Bowman Gymnasium is used as a secondary court for Colonel volleyball tournaments and also provides additional practice space for the intercollegiate basketball, baseball and softball teams. The facility features hardwood flooring and six regulation basketball goals, as well as a drop down batting cage used for both baseball and softball practices. The gym is available for recreation when the intercollegiate teams do not have it reserved.
The 15,000-square-foot Hazelrigg Gymnasium serves as the location for the intramural basketball and intramural volleyball seasons. The facility features an all-purpose synthetic flooring containing three basketball courts, three volleyball courts, two badminton courts, and two tennis courts that are available with restricted hours. The gym also features two divider curtains to allow various recreation simultaneously. A three-lane walking/running track (12 laps equal one mile) wraps around the recreational gym.