Residence Life

Residence Life2019-05-16T19:18:13+00:00

Everyone at Centre lives and works as a community. Our residence halls provide comfort, convenience, and safety in an environment that promotes respect and responsibility.

THE A. EUGENE BROCKMAN COMMONS

Address: 141 South Beatty Avenue

  • Student Residence for 124 upper-class students
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms
  • Matthew Shuey Memorial Pavillion (2016)
  • LEED-Certified: Silver

PEARL HALL

Address: 525 West Main Street

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms, elevator
  • LEED-Certified: Gold

Built: 2008
Named in memory of Centre trustee Robert Brockman’s mother and grandmother, both of whom were named Pearl.

More About Pearl Hall

NORTHSIDE STUDENT RESIDENCES

Acheson and Caldwell, Cheek and Evans, and Yerkes were originally built to house female students when the campuses of Centre and the Kentucky College for Women merged in 1962.

ACHESON HALL and CALDWELL HALL

Acheson Address: 611 West Main Street
Caldwell Address: 609 West Main Street

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms
  • LEED-Certified: No

Named for the Acheson and Caldwell families long associated with Centre College and Kentucky College for Women.

CHEEK HALL and EVANS HALL

Cheek Address: 607 West Main Street
Evans Address: 605 West Main Street

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No
Cheek
Named for Ruby Moss Cheek, Class of 1929, and her sister-in-law, Dr. Mary Ashby Cheek, Class of 1909.

Evans
Named for the Evans family, including Mr. James H. Evans, Class of 1943, a native of Louisville, chair of the Centre Board of Trustees (1979-86).

YERKES HALL

Address: 603 West Main Street

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms
  • LEED-Certified: No
Named for the Yerkes family, (Rev. Dr. Stephen Yerkes; his son, John W. Yerkes, Class of 1873, and his granddaughter, Amelia Yerkes, Class of 1901, all past members of the Centre board of trustees).

The Story Behind the Name: Yerkes

Northside Residence Hall at Centre College

NEW NORTHSIDE STUDENT RESIDENCE HALL COMING SOON

The construction of the new northside residence hall is set to be completed by August 2019. The building will have 176 beds, an apartment, study rooms, kitchens, lounge space, laundry, social space and other amenities. The rooms will be large, double rooms in suites or super-suites or pod-style.

The residence hall will have five resident assistants and one residence director who will help assist the community when students move in. Since the new building will provide housing for additional growth of the student body, it gives the College the flexibility to close older housing that can no longer be managed.

“The building does not yet have a name, but once it is complete, the Hillside houses will be coming down,” Young added. “These buildings have just outlived their life-span and are requiring much maintenance attention. We will also be removing students from the quad basement rooms and turning some smaller double rooms into single rooms.

“We are very excited to add this new residence hall to our system,” she concluded. “It will provide another option for building community for our residential student body.”

Horky House

HILLSIDE HOUSES

Address: 593 West Main Street

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

Built in 1974. A popular alternative to traditional dorm rooms, these student residences are four separate townhouses arranged in clusters. Two of the houses face each other around a common courtyard. Each house has two separate wings, and each wing has three bedrooms, a living room, and two bathrooms to accomodate six students. The hillside apartments also have a central laundry facility located in the complex.

Horky House

STUART HOUSE

Address: 517 West Main Street

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms
  • LEED-Certified: No
Built ca. 1915
Named for John Todd Stuart, Class of 1826

Formerly known as the Centre Shoppes, the building housed the Centre bookstore and a coffee shop/cafe since 1992. It previously served as a private residence, a fraternity house, and a funeral home. There is a highway marker from the Kentucky Historical Society in front of the hall commemorating John Todd Stuart, a friend of Abraham Lincoln who persuaded Lincoln to pursue a career in law.

RUBY CHEEK HOUSE

Address: 507 West Main Street

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

Left to the College by beloved Centre music teacher Ruby Moss Cheek, Class of 1929. Mrs. Cheek lived in the house for many years with her husband, Judge Samuel Cheek, Class of 1920.

Facilities Management

762 WEST MAIN STREET

Address: 762 West Main Street

  • Student Residence, Second Floor
  • Information Technology Services (ITS), First Floor
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms
  • LEED-Certified: No

Built: 1940, Renovated: 1997

First floor: Information Technology Services (ITS)

Second floor: Student Residence

ST. MILDREDS COURT STUDENT RESIDENCES

Properties located on St. Mildreds Court near campus purchased by the College for student residence.

122 ST. MILDREDS COURT

Address: 122 St. Mildreds Court

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

FOX HALL

Address: 126 St. Mildreds Court

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No
FOX HALL: According to Henrietta “Penny” Jackson, who owned the house for many years, St. Mildreds Court “grew up” around this residence, which is named for Fox Hall’s original owner, Mildred, by her daughters. Centre purchased the house from Penny in the 1990s, and it has served as a residence hall since then.

RODES HALL

Address: 137 St. Mildreds Court

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No
RODES: Named for Mary Cromwell Rodes, a cousin of Nelson Rodes, class of 1954, whose family has had six generations attend Centre. Mrs. Rodes owned the apartments when Centre acquired them.

NORTH FIFTH STREET STUDENT RESIDENCES

Properties located on North Fifth Street near campus purchased by the College for student residence.

NORTH FIFTH STREET

Address: 123 North Fifth Street

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

Properties near campus purchased by the College for student residence.

NORTH FIFTH STREET

Address: 125 North Fifth Street

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

NORTH FIFTH STREET

Address: 129 North Fifth Street

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

SOUTH MAPLE AND SOUTH BEATTY AVENUE STUDENT RESIDENCES

Bingham Hall

BINGHAM HALL

Address: 127 South Maple Avenue

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • Computer Lab
  • ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms, elevator
  • LEED-Certified: No
Norton Center for the Arts

WISEMAN HALL

Address: 120 South Maple Avenue

  • Student Residence, Second Floor
  • Registrar Office, First Floor
  • ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms
  • LEED-Certified: No
Built: 1940, Renovated: 1992
Named for Guy E. Wiseman, Class of 1885

Wiseman Hall was designed by Nevin, Morgan, and Kilbrook of Louisville, and followed the early 1800s southern style of architecture. At the time it was the first addition to Centre in 25 years. Construction of Wiseman Hall allowed all freshmen at the time to live on campus.

The Story Behind the Name: Wiseman Hall

Centre Post Office

BRECKINRIDGE HALL

Address: 136 South Beatty Avenue

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms
  • LEED-Certified: No
Built: 1892, Renovated: 1999
Named for Rev. Robert J. Breckinridge, a founder of Danville Theological Seminary and uncle of U.S. vice president John Cabell Breckinridge, Class of 1838. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

The Story Behind the Name: Breckinridge Hall

THE QUAD

The Old Quad (now referred to as The Quad) was originally housing for the campus chapters of national fraternities until Greek Park was constructed in 1994-95. The residence halls are named for several prominent people associated with Centre.

The rooms are all basically the same and are furnished with bed, closet area, and small work desks.

Facilities Management

COOPER HALL and GANFIELD HALL

Cooper Address: 623 West Colonel Drive
Ganfield Address: 625 West Colonel Drive

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No
Built: 1962, Renovated: 1995

Cooper was named for John Sherman Cooper ’22, U.S. Senator (1946-49, 1952-55, and 1956-73), U.S. ambassador to India and Nepal (1955-56) and East Germany (1974-76), member of the Centre board of trustees (1961-91).

Ganfield was named for William A. Ganfield, 11th president of Centre College (1915-1921).

Norton Center for the Arts

LAMOTTE HALL and TYLER HALL

LaMotte Address: 627 West Colonel Drive
Tyler Address: 629 West Colonel Drive

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No
Built: 1962, Renovated: 1995

LaMotte was named for E. Golladay LaMotte ’29, native of Hopkinsville, Ky., successful businessman and farmer, chair of the Centre board of trustees (1977-79).

Tyler was named for Robert S. Tyler ’44, prominent Tulsa, Okla., businessman, and member of the Centre board of trustees (1983-1994).

NEVIN HALL

Address: 138 South Beatty Avenue

  • Student Residence
  • Residence Life Office
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

Built: 1968, Renovated 2015

Named for Hugh L. Nevin, the architect of eight buildings on Centre’s campus was a member of the Centre board of trustees (1941-58). One of Kentucky’s leading architects, Nevin also built the first WHAS radio station in Louisville in 1920.

Facilities Management

STEVENSON HALL and VINSON HALL

Stevenson Address: 142 South Beatty Avenue
Vinson Address: 140 South Beatty Avenue

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No
Built: 1962, Renovated: 1995

Stevenson was named for Adlai E. Stevenson, Class of 1859, member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1875-77 and 1879-81) and U.S. Vice President (1893-97).

Vinson was named for Frederick M. Vinson ’09, member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1924-29 and 1931-38) and Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court (1946-53).

SOUTH COLLEGE STREET AND WEST GRANT STREET STUDENT RESIDENCES

Properties near campus purchased by the College for student residence.

360 SOUTH COLLEGE STREET

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

322 SOUTH COLLEGE STREET

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

499 WEST GRANT STREET

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

518 WEST GRANT STREET

  • Student Residence
  • Laundry Facility
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • LEED-Certified: No

WEST WALNUT

Greek Park was constructed in 1994 and 1995 and is housing for the Greek community on campus. The Walnut House was a coffee shop in the 1950s and 60s. Originally the Centre Post Office occupied the space that is now the offices for the Department of Public Safety and upstairs student residence.

Greek Park at Centre College

GREEK PARK

  • Sorority and Fraternity Housing
  • Six Fraternities
  • Five Sororities

The Centre College Greek community consists of national fraternities and sororities led by the Panhellenic Council and Interfraternity Council under the guidance of the Office of Greek Life. Centre Greeks are dedicated to the ideals of brotherhood, sisterhood, leadership, scholastic achievement, community service, and social interaction.

GREEK PARK RESIDENCES
Walnut House

847 West Walnut

Address: 847 West Walnut Street

  • Student Residence, Second Floor
  • Department of Public Safety (DPS), First Floor
  • ADA Accessible: Entrance, restrooms
  • LEED-Certified: No

Built: 1950's, Renovated in 2011

The Walnut House was a coffee shop in the 1950s and 1960s and later held the offices for the Centre Post Office until the winter of 2011. The C6H0 painted on the outside of the building is a reminder of the most famous football game in Centre history.