Since Oct. 1, 2017, Federal Student Aid has added security and privacy protections to the FAFSA tool. If you use this tool, tax return information will be encrypted and will not be displayed on the web page or on your FASFA. Instead, you’ll see “Transferred from the IRS,” in the appropriate fields.
IRS Data Retrieval Tool Instructions (Preferred)
- Go to studentaid.gov
- Click on Login under Returning User
- Use FSA ID as requested
- Select Make Correction to FAFSA
- Go to Parent and/or Student Financials tab
- Answer questions to see if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
- Enter Parent FSA ID for Parent info and/or Student FSA ID for Student info and click on Link to IRS
- The next screen will inform you that you are leaving FAFSA on the Web. Click OK to continue
- The IRS.gov screen will appear next. Enter information requested and click on Submit
- Once the IRS has validated your identification, you will be provided a list of all possible fields from a tax return that could transfer back into the FAFSA form. (Actual data is encrypted and will not be viewable)
- Click on box under “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA.” Then click on the Transfer Now button
- Follow instructions to return to FAFSA on the Web to complete the FAFSA
Remember to electronically sign and submit the FAFSA again!