Centre graduates are accepted into the top medical schools in the country. Recent first-time applicants achieved an 83% acceptance rate, among the highest in the nation.
At Centre you’ll get a great all-around education: first-rate teachers, first-rate facilities, and small classes that emphasize challenging and personal attention.
Centre provides for-credit internships in medical and other science-related settings. Through strategic partnership with Danville’s Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center, students participating in the Centre Unites with Ephraim (CUE) program gain first-hand experience in the medical environment.
Centre students have many opportunities to do joint research with faculty members. Students often co-author papers for publication with their professors and later present their work at professional meetings. These publication credits and professional experiences help in gaining admission to med schools.
In the second semester of their sophomore year, students may apply for the Early Assurance Program (EAP). Centre’s partnership with the University of Kentucky College of Medicine-Northern Kentucky Campus provides early assurance of admission for selected students who complete the program requirements and graduate from Centre.
Download EAP PDF (Coming Soon)
Download CUE PDF
Which Med Schools Do Centre Grads Attend?
Allopathic Medical Schools (M.D.)
- Dartmouth College: The Geisel School of Medicine
- Emory University
- Stanford University
- Wake Forest University
- University of Alabama
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Kentucky (Students in both the M.D. Program and the M.D./Ph.D. Program)
- University of Louisville
- University of North Carolina
- University of Toledo
- University of Virginia
Osteopathic Medical Schools (D.O.)
- Lincoln Memorial University: DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Ohio University: Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
“Centre helped me grow as both a student and a person. On top of a rigorous course load that taught me how to think, I built great relationships with peers and professors that helped me to interact within a community. During the med-school application process, the faculty helped me develop a competitive application. Centre cultivated my interest in medicine and helped me take the next step in achieving my goals.”
Centre Class of 2018 • Chemistry Major
There is no specific undergrad major required to be admitted to medical school.
A number of our recent students have gone to med school after majoring in areas such as economics & finance, English, philosophy, religion, and Spanish, in addition to the traditional sciences of behavioral neuroscience (BNS), biochemistry and molecular biology (BMB), biology, and chemistry.
A Centre education gives you skills in analysis, critical thinking, and oral and written communication — abilities that enable you to get into leading med schools, do well in your professional studies, and establish a successful medical career.
Prospective high school students and current Centre College students interested in a career in the medical field, please visit the Health Professions Advising website.
Pre-med students should consult with faculty advisor Professor Kerry Paumi and can reach her by email here.
What Courses Should I Take?
Almost every medical school in the U.S. has the same basic entrance requirements. The requirements that follow are also essential for success on the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT).
• Two semesters of biology with lab
• Two semesters of general chemistry with lab
• Two semesters of organic chemistry with lab
• Two semesters of physics with lab
• Two semesters of general college composition
• General college mathematics (math requirements vary depending on the school)
• One semester of biochemistry (required by many medical schools and recommended for the MCAT)
• One semester of psychology and one semester of sociology (recommended for the MCAT)